Hello Fishlore

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by JessicaSwanlake, Apr 25, 2019.

1. JessicaSwanlakeNew MemberMember

Hello, I'm new to Fishlore and recently (a little over a week ago) set up a new 55 gallon freshwater aquarium. I have had fish in the past (not for the past 5 years or so) in my 25 gallon, but they were only smaller, petstore fish like goldfish and neons. This time around I am going to have a couple larger varieties of fish, the centerpiece of which is my Oscar who is about 3 inches long right now and scared of everything including his own food. I will be posting a couple of questions soon regarding best practices and will probably need some advise.

2. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Hello, and welcome to fishlore!

3. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

Welcome!

I wouldn't put anything else in a 55 with an Oscar. He is going to need all that space himself.

4. JessicaSwanlakeNew MemberMember

I have a peacock eel (about 6 inches long) in there with him right now (at least I hope it is a peacock and not a larger one since I hear they are often mislabeled), they don't seem to bother each other yet.
    I assume if he gets as big as the 12-14 inches listed I will need to upgrade my tank to a 75 gallon within the next year anyway, which is fine since both my heater and filter are rated for 75 gallons.

If there aren't any agression issues between the two of them they can both be fine in a 75 gallon, right?

5. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore!

6. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

I love Oscars, had 1 myself years ago. They are great fish, but when they hit about 6" or so, anything they can fit in their mouth they will eat. I had mine alone in a 75. The hard part is, with Oscars, there are no signs of aggression like other species. Fin nips, chasing, etc. He's just gonna eat. No second chance from that. And your Oscar is gonna grow. Fast.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  7. Ohio MarkWell Known MemberMember

Welcome aboard! :)

8. JessicaSwanlakeNew MemberMember

Oh, so they don't typically have signs of agression first? Well, maybe I will just get a separate 55 gallon instead of a 75 gallon and put the eel in there instead (which is better since 55 gallons are usually easier to find secondhand).

9. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

There ya go. Just remember though, with a 55, and even with the Oscar all by himself, expect to do bi-weekly water changes of about 50% once he hits about 6". They are pigs, both when they eat, and when they...well, you know.

10. JessicaSwanlakeNew MemberMember

Yeah, I was told that even every-other day might be necessary once he is full-sized since the tank is on the smaller side for an Oscar. I don't mind cleaning the tank often so that won't be a problem (and cloudy water isn't nice to look at).

11. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

LOL it's not the cloudy water you have to worry about, it's the turds in the substrate! There are many reasons they call Oscars "Water Dogs".