Hello Fishlore

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by The Aquarist, Apr 16, 2017.

1. The AquaristNew MemberMember

Hello fellow fish loverz. Glad to be apart of the community!!

2. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_Well Known MemberMember

Welcome!:)
    I hope you enjoy the forum!

3. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

WELCOME to Fishlore!!!

Glad you joined! Would you like to tell more about yourself? :)

4. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Welcome! What tanks do you have going on right now?

5. OP
    OP
    T

The AquaristNew MemberMember

Well I have been into aqariums for about a yr now. I have 3 tanks going. The first (main tank) is a 50 gal, in it I have 3 corys, 3 galss cats, 3 angels, 3 swordtails, 2 doctor fish and 2mollies. In the 2nd is a 20 gal and I just have a gold fish and a couple glow fish and in the 3rd I have 4 fiddler crabs.

6. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!

7. tfreema

tfreemaFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fishlore!
    You have some stocking issues if you want to address those.

8. OP
    OP
    T

@tfreema please elaborate. Do have too many fish in my 50 gal? All fish mentioned are small

9. tfreema

More territorial than bioload issues.

Cories should be in a minimum shoal of 6. What kind of cories are they?

Angelfish should be kept in even numbers. As they mature, two will likely pair off and aggression towards the odd one out will occur. I personally would only keep 2 in a 50, but others would say 4 is ok.

What kind of goldfish in the 20? I am not sure if a 20 is even big enough for the smaller fancy size and is definitely not for regular ones. They pretty much need a pond as they get huge. Their bioload is tremendous as they grow.

10. OP
    OP
    T

Thanks tfreema! Do you think I have enough room to get the additional corrys and glass cats u mentioned? Not sure what kind of Corys they are ut here is a pic 20170415_141643.jpg

11. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

@tfreema I know you keep angels. Aren't they not temp compatible with the glass cats? And probably the cories, though I can't ID the ones in the photo.

OP: those are some really interesting looking corys. . I'm also not familiar with doctor fish. I also think fiddler crabs are brackishc but someone else may know better than me. I don't think the glofish are compatible with goldfish

12. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

I believe those are some kind of loach rather than corys :) hard to tell though

@chromedome52 might be able to help

13. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Greetings and welcome to the forum :)

14. tfreema

I do not have experience with glass cats.
    Are you sure those are cories? I have never seen them. Kinda looks like bumblebee gobies. Can you get a better picture? If they are cories I want some! Very cool.

Angelfish need about 78-80 temp. I am not very familiar with glass cats so I would have to research.
    Not all cories have the same temp range. Peppered should be kept at about 68-72 while the aenus varieties are warmer with 78-80 being a good range. I think panda cories are somewhere in between those two.

15. OP
    OP
    T

@tfreema funny you ask about the corys. I posted in the cory thread and its 50/50 between a kind of spotted cory and Syndontis sp catfish. Not sure but i think I might have been mislead by the LFS. Ill let you know if I find out for sure

16. Anders247

The one closer to the camera looks like a bumblebee catfish, and the other doesn't look like a cory to me, maybe a Sybodontis sp.

17. Five 97

Five 97Well Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!

I think they are Synodontis Multipunctatus, the one in front looks like the same sp. to me.

Edit: they may not be, but they do appear to be some sort of synodontis at least.

Be careful when buying, as some synodontis species can get pretty large, and not all are social with their kind.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  18. FishL:))

FishL:))Well Known MemberMember

Hello and WELCOME to FishLore @theaquarist!! Glad you joined us! You can pop us with any questions you'll have in the future! :)

19. Anders247

IMO, the one in the front is definitely different from the one in the back, it has stripes vs the spots. Plus the color is a bit different.

20. tfreema

Yeah, I was not even looking at the one in the back. That does look like some kind of synodontis catfish.
    I would be very interested to see a better picture of the bumble bee looking fish. It is kinda shaped like a cory. If it is one, i cannot find it on the web. Maybe a young bumblebee catfish.
    With synodontis and bumblebee catfish, research the group numbers they should be kept in. You will need to ID which syno you have. Some are best kept in shoals of 6 or more while others should be kept solitary. Some species also get huge. I have 6 syno lucippinis (sold to me as petricola) in a 30g. They are 3-4" full grown.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice