20 Gallon Tank Hello, FishLore friends!

SpaghettiandLeaves

Hey there! I am new to the hobby. I have been scrolling through so many threads and figured it was time to create an account for myself. I will be starting my first 20 gallon tank in the next couple months. I have been going down the rabbit hole of just about every fish related topic, making sure to have everything planned before jumping in.

I have changed my mind many times on which fish I want to keep, it seems every post I read or YouTube video I watch introduces me to a new freshwater fish I had never heard of previously. I know for sure I want Otocinclus' once my tank is established, that's the one group of fish I have not changed my mind about. My newest shoaling fish idea is the Silvertip Tetra because they are so active and entertaining, but I am not 100% sold on them because of the fin nipping behavior when kept in lower schooling numbers. I am also trying to think of two centerpiece fish to add later on once I have everything figured out. I have been thinking of Apistos and Rams to stay in the South American theme. I am not looking to breed them necessarily, but would prefer a pair that enjoys caves. I am open to all suggestions and am wondering if anyone has any Oto/20 gallon high-friendly fish they just absolutely adore. Feel free to share them with me!

betta06

welcome to fishlore!

Leeman75

Welcome to Fish Lore!

I think you're on a track that I can appreciate with a fish like the Tetra at the top and maybe a pair of Apistos or Rams at the bottom. You could do either of those small Cichlids. I've never kept Apistos, but it's on my radar. I have kept Rams and love them. I'm especially fond of German Blue Rams, but you've got to keep them at a higher temp to keep them most happy. A shoaling fish to pair with that could be Cardinal or Rummynose Tetras.

In the 20, you could do maybe a Ram/Apisto, 8-10 Rummynose, and 6 Otos. You would also want to make sure that your filtration is capable of handling that. You'd also want to make sure that you have enough bio food for the Otos to eat or feed with fresh veggies and algae wafers.

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore!

SpaghettiandLeaves

Welcome to Fish Lore!

I think you're on a tracj that I can appreciate with a fish like the Tetra at the top and maybe a pair of Apistos or Rams at the bottom. You could do either of those small Cichlids. I've never kept Apistos, but it's on my radar. I have kept Rams and love them. I'm especially fond of German Blue Rams, but you've got to keep them at a higher temp to keep them most happy. A shoaling fish to pair with that could be Cardinal or Rummynose Tetras.

In the 20, you could do maybe a Ram/Apisto, 8-10 Rummynose, and 6 Otos. You would also want to make sure that your filtration is capable of handling that. You'd also want to make sure that you have enough bio food for the Otos to eat or feed with fresh veggies and algae wafers.
Thank you for those suggestions! I have decided to go with the Tidal 35 HOB and will be doing a fully planted tank as well. My original plan was 6 Otos, 12 Neon Tetras (overtime, six to start), and a pair of apistos/Rams. The GBR have so many colors and EVERYONE says they love them! My only thing about the Neons is they don't seem as playful as the other options. I will research more into the Rummynose, I've seen them in a lot of videos, but haven't delved into them yet to understand their behavior. Here I go down another rabbit hole, at least fish is more fun than my night of researching substrate hahaha Thank you again!!!

Leeman75

Thank you for those suggestions! I have decided to go with the Tidal 35 HOB and will be doing a fully planted tank as well. My original plan was 6 Otos, 12 Neon Tetras (overtime, six to start), and a pair of apistos/Rams. The GBR have so many colors and EVERYONE says they love them! My only thing about the Neons is they don't seem as playful as the other options. I will research more into the Rummynose, I've seen them in a lot of videos, but haven't delved into them yet to understand their behavior. Here I go down another rabbit hole, at least fish is more fun than my night of researching substrate hahaha Thank you again!!!

Otos and GBRs can be delicate and sensitive, so I would add those last to let the tank establish it's best. Rummynose are cool colored and pretty fun as they school pretty well. I also really like small Rasboras like Harlequins or Chilis. My Harlequins are 10x more active than any small bodied Tetra that I've had.

StarGirl

Cardinals have been the ones that have been the hardiest for me. Others have had good luck with Rummies but they didnt care to live for me. Everyone seems to have problems with Neons. It is sad too because they are so awesome.

mimo91088

Welcome aboard! I prefer the apisto to rams myself. But that's because I don't like running heaters and rams like it real hot. They're pretty fish and I'd be breeding the heck out of them right now if they did good at 72.

SpaghettiandLeaves

Thank you all for the warm welcome!!! I have been leaning more towards Apistos because I love the drastic color variation between the males and females (their names will be Spaghetti and Leaves). I am loosely thinking the borellii or agassizii, subject to change, the Midnight Ram is shockingly beautiful as well. I will be getting the Eheim ThermoControl e100 just because I sleep with the A/C on pretty much year round, so I don't want to risk my babies getting cold. Also the Chili Rasboras were my original obsession (it has change way too many times, they're all too adorable!!). I am really appreciating the ideas and encouragement. I don't have fish fanatic friends yet haha

Leeman75

Glad to be your fish friends! My kids are my fish friends! And all these fine people on the forum!

I really do like the Apistos and was looking at the Borelli as well for my 20 gallon hex tank. Eventually, I will be moving my 3 Keyhole Cichlids into my big tank and getting a pair of either Borelli or Cacatuoides...but they're not big enough yet to play with the big boys in that tank.

I had really liked the Chili Rasboras as well and was going to put them in the same 20 hex but they are impossible to find!

JLAquatics

Looks like I am late to the party, but I just wanted to personally welcome you to the forum as well. There are plenty of great and friendly people on here with vast amounts of knowledge of aquariums, plants and anything fish related. You definitely chose the right forum to join is all I have to say.

SpaghettiandLeaves

Glad to be your fish friends! My kids are my fish friends! And all these fine people on the forum!

I really do like the Apistos and was looking at the Borelli as well for my 20 gallon hex tank. Eventually, I will be moving my 3 Keyhole Cichlids into my big tank and getting a pair of either Borelli or Cacatuoides...but they're not big enough yet to play with the big boys in that tank.

I had really liked the Chili Rasboras as well and was going to put them in the same 20 hex but they are impossible to find!
I have also noticed the Chilis are hard to find which is why I steered away from that idea, for now. I am moving at the end of this month so most of this will really depend on the water parameters and availability in LA. I'll have to follow along your journey and see which fish you land on!
JLAquatics I am from Michigan and Leeman75 I just left Chicago in January, it's cool to see so many people from those places!! I should have started this hobby sooner! I have ALWAYS wanted an aquarium.

Leeman75

I have also noticed the Chilis are hard to find which is why I steered away from that idea, for now. I am moving at the end of this month so most of this will really depend on the water parameters and availability in LA. I'll have to follow along your journey and see which fish you land on!
JLAquatics I am from Michigan and Leeman75 I just left Chicago in January, it's cool to see so many people from those places!! I should have started this hobby sooner! I have ALWAYS wanted an aquarium.

Good luck with the move and have fun with the tank set up!

JLAquatics

Fish always fascinated me when I was a young kid. I always wanted a tank and would never get one because they were too messy with water and such. Once I was old enough, I immediatly started my first aquarium and have been hooked ever since. I am coming down with MTS (multiple tank syndrome) myself and setting up my second aquarium soon. If you don't have this "syndrome" yet, look out friend. If you love aquariums chances are you will get hooked and want multiple tanks in the future. I wish you luck with your move.

SpaghettiandLeaves

JLAquatics I have already been wanting to increase my tank size, but my school has a max of 20 gallons. Although I did pick the school with the highest allowed gallons I will be doomed once I get settled after college. hahaha What are some of your favorite fish you've had?

JLAquatics

JLAquatics I have already been wanting to increase my tank size, but my school has a max of 20 gallons. Although I did pick the school with the highest allowed gallons I will be doomed once I get settled after college. hahaha What are some of your favorite fish you've had?
Well, I'm not that old myself and just recently graduated college, so not a lot of funds to work with until I find a good job for plenty of different types of fish. I do not really have a favorite fish at this point but I really like my 29 gallon community planted aquascape in general. Before then I had a 10 gallon which housed Bettas and even Rosy Red Minnows (feeder fish) at one point. The 29 community I currently own is thriving and housed with Neon Tetras, Lambchop Rasboras, Cherry Shrimp, and various snails. Everyone gets along perfectly and I regularly see Cherry Shrimp offspring. I am taking the 10 gallon I disassembled a while ago and creating a new aquascape out of it, which I am really excited about.

SpaghettiandLeaves

Well, I'm not that old myself and just recently graduated college, so not a lot of funds to work with until I find a good job for plenty of different types of fish. I do not really have a favorite fish at this point but I really like my 29 gallon community planted aquascape in general. Before then I had a 10 gallon which housed Bettas and even Rosy Red Minnows (feeder fish) at one point. The 29 community I currently own is thriving and housed with Neon Tetras, Lambchop Rasboras, Cherry Shrimp, and various snails. Everyone gets along perfectly and I regularly see Cherry Shrimp offspring. I am taking the 10 gallon I disassembled a while ago and creating a new aquascape out of it, which I am really excited about.
That's awesome! I just checked out your photos, the blues and reds really pop with your aquascape! I am going to focus on my aquascape before adding any fish, I'll share pictures once I get started. Hopefully you can find a good job soon and get more tanks!!

JLAquatics

That's awesome! I just checked out your photos, the blues and reds really pop with your aquascape! I am going to focus on my aquascape before adding any fish, I'll share pictures once I get started. Hopefully you can find a good job soon and get more tanks!!
Yeah, those photos on my profile are from a few months back. You should see this tank in it's current state, I can show you if you would like. As for your new tank, you should make a build thread on Fishlore and share your journey with your new aquarium once you get your supplies. You can also get suggestions and tips with your aquascape that way if you would like as well. I bet it will look amazing once everything is done.

SpaghettiandLeaves

Yeah, those photos on my profile are from a few months back. You should see this tank in it's current state, I can show you if you would like. As for your new tank, you should make a build thread on Fishlore and share your journey with your new aquarium once you get your supplies. You can also get suggestions and tips with your aquascape that way if you would like as well. I bet it will look amazing once everything is done.
I just read your article! It was an awesome read, thank you for sharing it on here! I have sketched out a couple plans for my aquascape, but they're likely too complicated for me to do. I am so determined though haha I might do video on Youtube or something too.

LHAquatics

Welcome friend

aquachris

Welcome to fishlore! Keep use up to date as you make your selection of fish and make sure to share pics.

Ouse

Welcome! :happy:

SpaghettiandLeaves

Cory04 aquachris CrustyDusty Thank you! I am thrilled to be a part of this forum! Everyone has been so welcoming, way better than the Facebook groups I have joined. I will update my profile once I get going, with pictures!

Dennis57

Hi, and Welcome to Fishlore.

Cheesecake

Welcome to Fishlore!

darkcat

Hey there! I am new to the hobby. I have been scrolling through so many threads and figured it was time to create an account for myself. I will be starting my first 20 gallon tank in the next couple months. I have been going down the rabbit hole of just about every fish related topic, making sure to have everything planned before jumping in.

I have changed my mind many times on which fish I want to keep, it seems every post I read or YouTube video I watch introduces me to a new freshwater fish I had never heard of previously. I know for sure I want Otocinclus' once my tank is established, that's the one group of fish I have not changed my mind about. My newest shoaling fish idea is the Silvertip Tetra because they are so active and entertaining, but I am not 100% sold on them because of the fin nipping behavior when kept in lower schooling numbers. I am also trying to think of two centerpiece fish to add later on once I have everything figured out. I have been thinking of Apistos and Rams to stay in the South American theme. I am not looking to breed them necessarily, but would prefer a pair that enjoys caves. I am open to all suggestions and am wondering if anyone has any Oto/20 gallon high-friendly fish they just absolutely adore. Feel free to share them with me!
Hi, welcome to fishlore!!!
I have a 20 gallon high with:
6 julli
7 neon tetra (but will add more)
1 betta
Some loaches

You can also use aqadvisor.com! It's kind of useful! I didn't tell anything about the otos, sorry.

SpaghettiandLeaves

Thank you! AqAdvisor has been quite addictive to say the least. I have so many screenshots of different tank options, it seems just about all of my ideas have been within the capacity parameters. Although, the Silvertip Tetra is making me want to upgrade to a 29 gallon. I'll have twelve tanks before I know it. My original idea was only a planted 10 gallon tank with Chili Rasboras, and now I'm thinking a 29 and maybe a 10 as well. hahahaha

BigManAquatics

Thank you! AqAdvisor has been quite addictive to say the least. I have so many screenshots of different tank options, it seems just about all of my ideas have been within the capacity parameters. Although, the Silvertip Tetra is making me want to upgrade to a 29 gallon. I'll have twelve tanks before I know it. My original idea was only a planted 10 gallon tank with Chili Rasboras, and now I'm thinking a 29 and maybe a 10 as well. hahahaha
Well, a 29 is a really good size. Might not be able to keep stuff in great numbers, but is big enough to try a lot of different fish over time

SpaghettiandLeaves

I agree! My current thought process is to keep my stocking plan relatively the same as I would with a 20 gallon, but with the extra height I could be more creative with the aquascape. I want to attempt some interesting cave work for the apistos to enjoy. I won't be buying anything until the next Dollar per Gallon Sale, so I have time to plan it all out. I'll be scouring this site for ideas and inspiration in the meantime.

BigManAquatics

I agree! My current thought process is to keep my stocking plan relatively the same as I would with a 20 gallon, but with the extra height I could be more creative with the aquascape. I want to attempt some interesting cave work for the apistos to enjoy. I won't be buying anything until the next Dollar per Gallon Sale, so I have time to plan it all out. I'll be scouring this site for ideas and inspiration in the meantime.
Myself i like the 29 gal tanks so much i really kinda want a 2nd one. I got ideas besides my wife's platies for it...the 45 just isn't enough!!

SpaghettiandLeaves

Myself i like the 29 gal tanks so much i really kinda want a 2nd one. I got ideas besides my wife's platies for it...the 45 just isn't enough!!
There's never enough! haha

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
MyFishAddiction
Replies
Views
Blacksheep1
Replies