29 Gallon Tank Hello Fishlore Folks

MiMo

Hi All,

Thought it was about time to create an account. I've had my first tank for about two months now and Fishlore was an important resource during the first cycle. The community here always seems helpful and friendly—even to a startling degree (really, I didn’t think such a pleasant place could exist online).
I loved aquariums when I was little and decided the pandemic was as good a time as any to get into the hobby. I’m a grad student and love to research and learn new things. I love all the learning and problem solving that have come with starting and completing my aquarium’s first cycle. And, well, this site has been a wonderful break (and occasional rabbit-hole) from the stuff I’m supposed to be studying.

In the aquarium, I have three bandit cory cats (getting three more this week. Took a week to get Ammonia/Nitrites down to zero. I’m working my way to a happy, six member school) and three nerite snails. The cory cats are a fun bunch to watch. They’re kind of goofy. The nerite snails are a surprising source of entertainment: the hide-and-seek of getting a headcount makes the snails a fun and occasionally worrying addition.

For plants, I’ve got two Amazon Swords, a few Water Wisteria shoots, and a single Java Fern bunch. The plants have taken off and the cory cats couldn’t be more happy with it. I’m hoping/planning on getting some guppies or other fish that swim higher in the water column. The bowfront tank I have is more tall than it is long. I figure working with the vertical shape is for the best.
Here's some photos:

IMG_1217.JPEG
IMG_1197.JPG
IMG_1248.JPG

Right now, I’m working on patience. And diatoms, too (but, I’ve read, for new tanks, the solution for diatoms is, “be patient.")

It's nice to be here!

BigManAquatics

Welcome! What kind of nerites you have?

Ouse

Welcome! You’re off to a great start! :happy:

How large is the tank? We can help choose middle/top swimmers here!

MyFishAddiction

Welcome! You've got a great looking tank! Also, guppies is a great idea!

JLAquatics

Welcome to the family!

MiMo

Welcome! What kind of nerites you have?
Black racer nerites. I haven't seen any eggs yet... I have my fingers crossed that maybe they are all males. But it's only been a couple of weeks and I'm not usually the lucky type. I'm determined to consider the eggs as a nice decoration to the tank and not be bothered by them when/if they start showing up. But, we'll see!

MyFishAddiction

Black racer nerites. I haven't seen any eggs yet... I have my fingers crossed that maybe they are all males. But it's only been a couple of weeks and I'm not usually the lucky type. I'm determined to consider the eggs as a nice decoration to the tank and not be bothered by them when/if they start showing up. But, we'll see!
I have some black racers too! And, hey at least you won't be overrun with baby snails!

BigManAquatics

I think it took about 3-4 weeks before i started seeing eggs...but only 1 tank so far to this day!

MiMo

Welcome! You’re off to a great start! :happy:

How large is the tank? We can help choose middle/top swimmers here!
It's a 25gal tank. I've also been considering neon tetras. The tank is near my study/work desk and the cory cats are fun to watch and make work less horrible. They sometimes take turns riding the bubblers to the top of the tank (I'm hoping that it's play... and not scratching.)
I'd gladly take any suggestions for fun-to-watch, playful middle/top dwellers!

Ouse

It's a 25gal tank. I've also been considering neon tetras. The tank is near my study/work desk and the cory cats are fun to watch and make work less horrible. They sometimes take turns riding the bubblers to the top of the tank (I'm hoping that it's play... and not scratching.)
I'd gladly take any suggestions for fun-to-watch, playful middle/top dwellers!
I wish I could turn my bedroom into a study and have the computer setup next to my 30 gallon...

Cories often rise to the surface to gulp air. This is normal behaviour and doesn’t suggest anything unless all the fish in the tank are doing it. I don’t think they’re scratching, just playing. :)

So you’re looking for middle swimmers? Well I love harlequin rasboras! They make for great middle swimmers and are hardy too. A school of at least six or more middle swimming fish will suffice and make work even more fun. There are so many options to choose from though, so don’t settle on them just yet...

Guppies will roam around the top of the water column by the surface, occasionally eating at the biofilm. They’re not strict middle swimmers as they swim near the surface most of the time and will occasionally visit other layers of the aquarium. I think they, or another species of livebearer, will look great in there. Be mindful that all livebearers are very prolific.

Goodyman

Hi All,

Thought it was about time to create an account. I've had my first tank for about two months now and Fishlore was an important resource during the first cycle. The community here always seems helpful and friendly—even to a startling degree (really, I didn’t think such a pleasant place could exist online).
I loved aquariums when I was little and decided the pandemic was as good a time as any to get into the hobby. I’m a grad student and love to research and learn new things. I love all the learning and problem solving that have come with starting and completing my aquarium’s first cycle. And, well, this site has been a wonderful break (and occasional rabbit-hole) from the stuff I’m supposed to be studying.

In the aquarium, I have three bandit cory cats (getting three more this week. Took a week to get Ammonia/Nitrites down to zero. I’m working my way to a happy, six member school) and three nerite snails. The cory cats are a fun bunch to watch. They’re kind of goofy. The nerite snails are a surprising source of entertainment: the hide-and-seek of getting a headcount makes the snails a fun and occasionally worrying addition.

For plants, I’ve got two Amazon Swords, a few Water Wisteria shoots, and a single Java Fern bunch. The plants have taken off and the cory cats couldn’t be more happy with it. I’m hoping/planning on getting some guppies or other fish that swim higher in the water column. The bowfront tank I have is more tall than it is long. I figure working with the vertical shape is for the best.
Here's some photos:

IMG_1217.JPEG
IMG_1197.JPG
IMG_1248.JPG

Right now, I’m working on patience. And diatoms, too (but, I’ve read, for new tanks, the solution for diatoms is, “be patient.")

It's nice to be here!
Beautiful tank!!

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
Kitley
Replies