Hello Everyone!

mamawxfive

Reaction score
I have just purchased (my first) a 24 gal tank.  I will be receiving it today.  I have a year old koi pond, the water is perfect, could I use pond water to cycle my tank ( which I knew nothing about, till I read this site) ;D  How many fish should I put in it?  This is my list; red tail shark, dwarf gourami, cory cat, 2 platy and blue ram,of these which ones could I use ???  I am really glad I found this site.  A little about me, I live in the boonies, slooooow dial up and no cable (directv).  Love it though, lots of critters, my 5 grandbabies love them. The tank is something I have always wanted.  Can't wait to get it started.  When I do I will send pics.    Joyce

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

I'm not a wealth of knowledge when it comes to cycling, but I think I've read elsewhere on here that the real beneficial bacteria isn't in the water...it's in places like the gravel and filter media. Don't take that as gospel though, I'm not positive!

As for stocking your tank, the general rule of thumb is 1 gallon per each inch of adult-sized fish, so it's important to research how big your fish can potentially grow. You also don't want overly aggressive fish to be in a community tank, obviously. Sometimes, it's hard to say though. People get nervous when I tell them I have fin-nippin' rosy barbs with enticingly-finned angelfish...but my barbs have so much fun playing with each other that they basically leave everyone else alone.

griffin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ditto bonochick on the beneficial bacteria locations. it's mostly in the filter media. you might be able to use some koi water to start off your cycle and cycle with koi water, but i'd be cautious.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fishlore! I'm not real sure on using the pond to cycle a tank. I'd wait for confirmation from one of the moderators on that, since i don't know if it would be a good thing to do or not.

If you can, what you'd want to do is get some rocks off the bottom, put them in a pantyhose 'sock' and tie it off, then hang that in the tank. (keep them in water as much as you can - the good bacteria don't last long out of the water) Most of the good bacteria are living on surfaces, the water has some but relatively few.

FishPirateL337

Valued Member
Reaction score
Tiger Barbs

TBs are awesome. They are beautiful lil devil fish, very active and entertaining.
They also come in 3 varieties; Green, Albino and the basic yellow red black type. I love
mine. They can be aggressive unless they are schooled, meaning there are 5 or more.
They run together and do everything together. You children will like them i would think, being
that are so active. In 24g of water, 8-10 would be fine, you could throw in a pleco, provided
it's a short fin type to discourage the fin nipping the TBs are infamous for. They grow about
2-3in and need heavy vegetation(live or plastic) to feel comfortable and be the best they can be.
If TBs aren't what you think you would like, i would suggest Gold Gouramis. 4 maybe 5 for your 24g.
Very hardy and active fish, and a lil aggressive. They are very entertaining when young and
incredably beautiful when adults at 5-6in. Be sure to read up on any fish you may be interested in.
Know the fish you care for, so you can do it better. ;D ;D

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome!

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore! It's great to have you with us!

Shrimpy

Valued Member
Reaction score
mamawxfive said:
I have just purchased (my first) a 24 gal tank.  I will be receiving it today.  I have a year old koi pond, the water is perfect, could I use pond water to cycle my tank ( which I knew nothing about, till I read this site) ;D  How many fish should I put in it?  This is my list; red tail shark, dwarf gourami, cory cat, 2 platy and blue ram,of these which ones could I use ???  I am really glad I found this site.  A little about me, I live in the boonies, slooooow dial up and no cable (directv).  Love it though, lots of critters, my 5 grandbabies love them. The tank is something I have always wanted.  Can't wait to get it started.  When I do I will send pics.    Joyce
when filling ur tank the my rule is every thumb 2 or 3 gallons of tank so ur fish wont be over crowded

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom