Hello everyone

poppet

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am brand new to this site and also to having an aquarium. We set up our aquarium 10 days ago and bought our fish today. We have 2 peppered catfish and 2 wagtail platys. I wish I had found this site before buying our fish because I am just realising there is so much to learn. Anyway one of our catfish has been going to the top of the tank and just laying there kind of floating. I don't know if this is normal or not. If anyone has an answer to this could you please help me and let me know.

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore. I suspect your tank is not cycled. Here is an article to get you started
https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
Also, have you bought a test kit? We recommend this one, don't buy test strips as they are very inaccurate. get the master test one.

That is definatly not normal for your fish to be doing that. Do a 50% water change ASAP. As a general rule, if your fish don't look good, a water change is a good idea. Good luck with your fish.

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
sounds like you've got peppered cory cats...Corys are very sensitive to water conditions. They will sit at the bottom, inactive or float near the top and breath air from the surface when they are stressed or when water parameters are out of whack...The cycle may be hard on them, so you will have to make sure to perform daily water changes to get them through it.

Gina423

Valued Member
Reaction score
Your ph could be very messed up, too.

(I know this because my ph was all messed up and my fish did the same thing).

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If your tank has only been running 10 days then it's almost certainly not cycled yet. This can take up to 4 or 5 weeks, sometimes longer.
I would guess your cat has ammonia poisoning. He may already be dead, sorry.
Definitely read the section:
https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
Also, go to the pet store and get a test kit for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, also look for something called "Prime". It will detox the ammonia without screwing up the cycling process. Many people here are using it with great results.
Once you test the water post your results and I or someone here will help you from there, OK?

poppet

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi i the ammonia content is between .3 and .6 the ph is 7.4 the tank temp is 26deg/c and i had shells in the tank which i have now removed as didn't realise that these could be bad thanks.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What are you using for testing your water? Do you also have the nitrites and nitrates count?

poppet

Valued Member
Reaction score
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom