Hello everyone~

barbiejeans

Hi, my name is Barb. I am a new fish keeper and am excited to have more in the future. I currently house (separately, of course) a blue and black female betta named Yumeko and an opal male betta named Stan. I bought Yumeko first and decided I wanted to get another fish and got Stan a week later. I have a couple of silk plants and a hiding barrel for both of their 5.5 gallon tanks. I plan to do some aquascaping (adding moss balls, changing the silk plants with live plants) and have been contemplating adding snails to their tanks. I found out about this forum because Stan nipped on his fins and developed mild fin rot. He has started to recover but still has splits in his tail that need to recover.

Yumeko is a very curious girl. She'll follow me when I walk in and out of the door near her tank and whenever I come near her tank she greets me. Stan is a bit sassy. Every time I come near his tank when I'm not feeding him, he'll swim up and open his mouth to say what I think is the fish equivalent to 'why aren't you feeding me right now?'. He also swims around his tank and hangs out near the filter in the back corner. I love them both so much. Here are some before and after pictures of Yumeko and Stan.

63253135564__90117AFF-D147-42D7-A63D-1E10D86D976F.jpg
IMG_3431.jpg
IMG_2771.jpg
IMG_3166.jpg

Ouse

Welcome to the forum!

barbiespoodle

From one Barb to another, WELCOME!!!!!

Such lovely bettas. I'm not up on the betta colors, I just wanted to add that the lighter color one really strikes my fancy. The reason being that I have a secret hope of turning the now cory fry grow out tank into a betta tank when the babies are big enough to go back in with their parents and the tank is all dark, black sand, dark background and that light one would look stunning in my set up.

Also wanted to add, I'm fairly new at the live plant thing, but personally, I will never go back to silk or plastic again, my tanks have never been so healthy, bravo on your plans to add live plants.

PastelBetta25

Hi Barb It's nice to meet you and your bettas!

I'm also new, but I just wanted to warn about getting (marimo) moss balls for now. I got some last month and had to take down my tank because of them If you really want to get some now, make sure you inspect for zebra mussels!

Yumeko and Stan are very lovely <3

barbiespoodle

Hi Barb It's nice to meet you and your bettas!

I'm also new, but I just wanted to warn about getting (marimo) moss balls for now. I got some last month and had to take down my tank because of them If you really want to get some now, make sure you inspect for zebra mussels!

Yumeko and Stan are very lovely <3

I'm curious, what are zebra mussels? I have marimo balls in all 5, soon to be 6 tanks and have never had an issue with them.

PastelBetta25

I'm curious, what are zebra mussels? I have marimo balls in all 5, soon to be 6 tanks and have never had an issue with them.
Yeah it's a new problem sadly :,( This was also my first time hearing of them! Basically, 90% marimo moss balls sold in the U.S. (a couple other countries as well but im unsure of which ones) from around January have possibly been contaminated by zebra mussels, an invasive species that can really mess up waterways. The larvae can be microscopic which is why there was a directive put out a few weeks ago to destroy all marimo moss balls bought in jan/feb/mar. Most chain stores like petco have recalled them already. Here's more information (if this is allowed): Destroy! Don't Dump! - Zebra Mussel Disposal

aquachris

Welcome to fishlore. Glad you have you here thanks for sharing pics of your beautiful bettas.

barbiespoodle

Yeah it's a new problem sadly :,( This was also my first time hearing of them! Basically, 90% marimo moss balls sold in the U.S. (a couple other countries as well but im unsure of which ones) from around January have possibly been contaminated by zebra mussels, an invasive species that can really mess up waterways. The larvae can be microscopic which is why there was a directive put out a few weeks ago to destroy all marimo moss balls bought in jan/feb/mar. Most chain stores like petco have recalled them already. Here's more information (if this is allowed): Destroy! Don't Dump! - Zebra Mussel Disposal

After asking my question, I looked up zebra muscles and I understand your concerns since I am a big time naturalist. To date, I have never had a marino ball cause any problems as far as unwanted aquarium residents.

That being said, I have ended up with unexpected guest in my tanks, some I know come on the plants, others I have no idea where they came from. When sighted, I identify them and from there decide if they are welcome. One example being that I some how ended up with a thriving colony of seed shrimp in my blue shrimp tank and I'm fine with them, actually watch them as much as I do the shrimp. I've also had detritus worms, copiapods and unfortunately, bladder snails, so far, knock on wood, no planaria. I actually consider them a sign of a healthy aquatic environment and I'm weird in that I actually love the creepy crawlies.

But rest assure, being a naturalist, I also do all in my personal power to never introduce invasive species. So should I end up with zebra muscles, I will either keep them contained in my tanks if I find them interesting and safe for my aquatic life, or destroy them, but never release them.

JLAquatics

Welcome to the crew, Barb! The more the merrier on this forum I say. Beautiful Bettas, by the way!

fallfever

Welcome to the forum and lovely Bettas!

ryansmith2251

Hi Barb!
Welcome to the forum!
Your Betas look amazing! What a personality they both have.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
The_fishy
Replies
Views
peacefulwarrior
Replies
Views
Charmed007
Replies
Views