Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Muzen, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Muzen

MuzenNew MemberMember

Hello everyone,

I've enjoyed your community over the past several months. So I finally decided to register an account.

A little about myself. I live in Vancouver, WA currently. But my wife and I have lived in Portland, OR, Honolulu, HI, and Mill Creek, WA over the last decade.

I've kept freshwater fish in varying degrees for most of the last 30 + years. Over most of that time, I'd say my fascination for tankbusters and other oddities probably made up the majority.

Now, I think it's safe to say my tastes have simmered down (a bit). I was ready to say I'm into peaceful community planted tanks... Then I realized my only tank is comprised of a betta sorority - which I know is probably a bit controversial for some people.

In a nutshell, I suppose my defining characteristic has been willingness to experiment - and that's one of the draws to the hobby for me. I wouldn't say I'm cavalier or reckless. I'm definitely not trying to get anything killed, and I'm not interested in fish fights. But I've always been intrigued by the social dynamics of fishkeeping.

I've had 100+ gallon tanks over the years... But currently, my single tanks is a 36 gallon medium planted bowfront that hosts 9 female betta, 1 male betta, and 9 cherry barbs. Honestly, it's one of my favorite tanks I've ever had. Weirdly, this is also the first time I've ever had betta...

What I didn't mention about my current tank is this is the most serious I've ever been about aquarium plants, wanting to keep them alive, and wanting to continue to grow them and help them thrive. It's a low tech tank. But I have a Current Satellite Pro Plus light, I'm diligent about dosing ferts / liquid CO2, and doing whatever it takes to be successful with this tank. I know that healthy (and growing) plants is one of the primary keys in the success of my fish composition after all...

Anyway, I'm pretty sure not everyone on here will approve of what I'm doing now, and everything I've kept in the past either. But I love fish. I love the hobby, and I'm old enough (and young enough) to not be too proud to learn more from each and every one of you I'm sure...

Talk to you all later!

Scott

2. LaTulip

LaTulipValued MemberMember

Hey there! Welcome! I’m fascinated by willingness to keep a “sorority” of bettas! Lol... and your right, some people may not be fond of it, but it’s not their tank is it ;) Good luck and welcome! Glad to have you here!

3. johnbirg

johnbirgValued MemberMember

Hi and welcome to fishlore!