1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

Hello Everyone!

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by BlanchedZucchini, Jun 23, 2019.

1. BlanchedZucchiniNew MemberMember

Hello! My name is Braden, I’m 20 years old from Texas. I’ve just recently cleaned out and set up a 55 gallon tank that belonged to my parents. After researching the internet and subsequently learning about the importance of water changes, cycling, temperature, and water parameters I decided to join a forum so I could soak up as much knowledge about this hobby as possible. I’m very excited to meet members of the community and see all the wonderful ideas and experience that this community has to offer.

As for the 55 gallon, it is currently cycling and I’m very excited to add fish (although I will wait until I know it’s cycled, testing the water regularly). I might look for a thread about stocking options because I literally cannot decide what I want to put in yet.

One current problem I’m having is that a family member may or may not have knocked a ton of food into the tank while I was at work, which I think caused a mini-cycle. So unfortunately it looks like I may have to wait a little while longer before adding anything. However the nitrites and ammonia are going down and the few guppies I salvaged from the previous carnation of the tank are still alive and appear healthy. So hopefully I won’t have to wait much longer.

Anyways, I’m very excited to be here, and to meet everyone!

2. BlanchedZucchiniNew MemberMember

A few more details on the tank.

I tried “aquascaping” it, just using pictures from google as reference. There are several plants in it so far, all are doing well after a little bit of initial die-off. There are some guppies in it from the tank before I cleaned it out, got new substrate, lights, and planted it.

Parameters:
    Temp: 78° F
    pH: 6.8
    Hardness: 75ppm
    Nitrate: 20ppm
    Nitrite: 4ppm (yes I know that’s stupid high, only occurred after spilling tons of food into the tank, I’ve been doing water changes and it is going down slowly after a couple days.)

3. LynnwoodFishDadValued MemberMember

Welcome! Lots of options for a 55! I know you’ll get some good advice here. The first of which is stay away from chain stores when you buy your fish! LOL

4. JonJalValued MemberMember

Welcome Braden! Always glad to meet new fish heads! Just be patient, do your homework and you'll be fine. Keeping fish has it's ups n downs...take the good with the bad and know we are here for you. Good luck.

5. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!

6. BlanchedZucchiniNew MemberMember

I know that’s the problem! There’s so many cool choices for stocking! And thank you for the advice haha!

7. ElkwatcherValued MemberMember

Welcome Braden, this is an awesome forum and you will enjoy yourself. Looking forward to seeing your tank!:)

8. BlanchedZucchiniNew MemberMember

Thank you!! I can't wait to see it either :emoji_joy:

9. JonJalValued MemberMember

So, tellus Braden...what types of fish you interested in keeping?

10. BlanchedZucchiniNew MemberMember

Thank you!!!

11. BlanchedZucchiniNew MemberMember

Currently nothing much as the tank is cycling, it had some guppies in it before I decided to fix it up. I bought new lights, substrate, plants and cleaned the tank. However once it cycles I'm very indecisive as to what I'd like to keep. Some ideas I've had:

Option #1:
    A couple of different schools of species of tetra's/other small schooling fish, and a school of cories

Option #2:
    Angelfish and some GBR/some other dwarf cichlid, and a pleco that stays small

Option #3:
    Seriously have no idea yet.

I'd really like something that fits the parameters above, and won't mess with my plants. Also I don't really want a species specific tank quite yet so some community options are what I'm looking for.

The Plants:
    Hemianthus
    Lobelia cardinalis
    Anubias barteri
    Anubias nana
    Java Moss
    Amazon Sword
    Java Fern

12. BlanchedZucchiniNew MemberMember

Sorry I read that as "what fish are you keeping?" ignore the first part lol

13. JonJalValued MemberMember

Electric blue acara is a great colorful dwarf cichlid and is very peaceful. I highly recommend them. Here is mine below.
    Male
    Female.
    Just one option you may want to consider.

14. BlanchedZucchiniNew MemberMember

Wow! They're a really pretty fish, I'll research them and see what they need and look into maybe getting some! Thank you for the suggestion! :emoji_grin:

15. LynnwoodFishDadValued MemberMember

I like the Orange Fire Apistos! A male/female pair and some tetras...can’t go wrong

Attached Files:

16. JonJalValued MemberMember

Keyholes are also a great peaceful cichlid. Not as colorful but still beautiful and a great community fish.
    Rainbow cichlids are also peaceful and all of these could even be put together if desired.

17. BlanchedZucchiniNew MemberMember

I've been wondering what this attraction to cichlids everyone seems to have is, but I can definitely see the appeal! Ill look into all of these, writing them down right now lol.

So could these cichlids also be put with the apistogramma? I was also looking into apistos for my tank, I thought they would make a great centerpiece fish if I had a bunch of neons or something like that.

What about angelfish? I've seen those in stores before and always wanted some. Are they able to live with these fish??

I'm getting way too excited right now, gonna be even harder to decide what I put in there if y'all keep giving me all these cool suggestions!

But for real though, these are awesome suggestions and thank you!

18. LynnwoodFishDadValued MemberMember

Angel fish, apistos, and cichlids are all variations on a theme. Don’t mix them without lots of space and research.

Go with cardinals over neons. Also, most apistos are somewhat shy so they aren’t really “center piece” fish. Most of those eat everything else.

Remember that a fish’s favorite food is always fish! LOL

19. JonJalValued MemberMember

Yes. If your going to mix cichlids be very careful of which species and how many of each sex. I have mine in a 120 gallon so they have plenty of room. I have my 2 electric blue acara mixed with 2 rainbow cichlids with 3 types of Rainbowfish. I have my keyholes (5of them) in a 75 gallon with 7 yellow rainbowfish and a bristlenose pleco and 9 small platys. I prefer these types of cichlids also because they do not usually disturb my plants. Here is my 75gallon.

20. BlanchedZucchiniNew MemberMember

I’ll make sure to do a lot of research beforehand then, with these suggestions in mind. Thank you!!