Hello Everyone!

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Fruitfulspy, Apr 24, 2019.

1. FruitfulspyNew MemberMember

Hi everyone! I'm new to FishLore, I just purchased a 37 Tall Tank. I had made a rookie mistake when purchasing it with fish. :( However, I've been cycling it for the last 2 almost 3 weeks, I've done 2-3 water changes (all without fish) already on it. Was going to put TopFin conditioner in it tomorrow and let it cycle for another 24 hrs before purchasing fish.

My plan is to have 2x Gourami's as center pieces and have 2 schools of rasboras or danios (haven't fully decided on which.) and the bottom have either otos or corys. Also, I plan to have 2-3 live plants and some rocks for them to hide in if needed. My main question is, for my water temps...some of the fish in my plan that I have been researching for nonstop for days, most of the temps vary for this plan. Should I keep my temp between 72-75? What's the safest temp for the plan I have?

Also, would love some ideas too. Thanks!! :)

2. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore :). The danios like colder water. The ottos are very hard fish to keep. They need a well established tank and need to have been eating before you buy them. Most are wild caught and die about a month after you get them.
    Did the tank come with fish?
    How are you cycling? Do you have a water test kit?

3. FruitfulspyNew MemberMember

The tank did not come with fish, I purchased 4 koi’s, let the tank cycle for a few hours before putting them in with conditioner and bacteria supplement. That was my mistake and they unfortunately died. But I have not gotten a test kit, I will purchase one tomorrow. I have had my water tested while it was dwelling, the water levels/pH levels are okay. Since me having that mistake, I’m taking every single precaution that there is so I don’t have anymore mistakes.

4. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

How are you cycling the tank? Are you adding ammonia?

5. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Don't worry too much about making mistakes. The can sometimes be the best teacher. Be patient...do some research...scrutinize, prepare and attention to detail. And don't hesitate to ask questions. And most importantly, do NOT give up. We have your back sir. And my keyboard's all jacked up here...lol...

6. FruitfulspyNew MemberMember

Haven’t done that yet, I’m guessing that involves food of sorts? Still somewhat new to this lol.

I don’t plan to give up. :) trial and error is what I live by. I also bought a Quarantine tank a small 5 gal tank that I plan on using when purchasing fish. Still somewhat new to the hobby. Only had koi’s in ponds before YEARS ago. Wanna try to get back into it. And obviously failed at first. But learning from this and getting as much info as I can.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2019
  7. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Koi are quite fun. But they can be HUGE pigs! lol...

8. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Lol yes you’ve got some things to learn :). There are two ways to cycle. Fishless: which is adding ammonia and waiting for bacteria to grow and eat the ammonia which than becomes nitrite which is than eaten by another bacteria. That leaves the final byproduct nitrate which we remove by doing water changes. This way takes time. There are bacteria supplements that can speed up the process.
    Next is fish in cycling. Which means you add some fish and let them produce the ammonia and start the cycle. This way requires daily water changes to keep the ammonia levels down while the bacteria is growing. Takes time but works and you get to look at fish :). Not many maybe 6 Serpae tetras.
    Both ways require a test kit.

9. FruitfulspyNew MemberMember

I do have a bacteria supplement that I can put in. I probably removed quite a bit of nitrate with the amount of water changes I’ve already done to it. Maybe I should add the conditioner and add the bacteria afterwards and let it cycle again? How long after I put the stuff in to get the tetras? And what temp? I believe if I read correctly they are 72-80F range?

10. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

You haven’t cycled that tank yet. You haven’t removed any nitrates. Please read up on the nitrate cycle. I just gave you a quick reference. Since nothing has been added to the tank nothing has happened. At best through the filter you’ve removed the minerals that were in the tap water.
    Lots to learn with fish keeping. The filter your using should be moving at least 300gallons an hour. You want to filter 8to 10x the volume of the tank. I keep my tanks at 76-78 and have a huge variety of fish.
    I’m a fan of the fish in cycle. If your going to try it I would do a 75% water change. Let the tank run for a day get the water at the right temp and add 6 tetras. Than do your water tests daily.
    Be back tomorrow :). Good luck and read up. Lots of info on this forum and good people. Unfortunately there all sleeping now :).

11. Brans0628Valued MemberMember

Hi welcome!!!

12. FruitfulspyNew MemberMember

Thank you!!! I’ll give an update later once I buy the test kit and do the 75% water change. :)

13. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!!!

14. FruitfulspyNew MemberMember

Update! Just bought the API Master test kit.
    pH lvl: 7.6
    Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: 0ppm

I’m guessing to add tetras like the guy above said and to do. I mean there’s nothing in the tank lol

15. blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

for me it says you have 0 messages is fishlore pranking me!? lol sorry welcome and in my exprence more plants the better i just find plants grab it then keep it lol so far it has worked out for the most part

16. Ohio MarkWell Known MemberMember

Welcome aboard! :)

17. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Yes like I said since there nothing in there there’s no readings. Just give the tank 24hrs after that last water change and add the tetras or something small like them. Most of the small tetras will work(no neons) and check your water and do your water changes. Also add the bacteria to the tank now. Give it a chance to get into the filter before the fish get there :).

18. FruitfulspyNew MemberMember

I added tetra safe start plus to the water to both of my tanks. I’m letting it cycle and do a water change later tonight :) thanks for info!! I love this site already!

19. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Ok that secondtank is a qt tank right? If so you shouldn’t need it for a few months. To start the qt tank later (5gal?) just take 5 gal out of the bigger tank add a heater and some of the used media from existing tank.
    What kind of filter are you using?

20. FruitfulspyNew MemberMember

For my 37 gal I’m using silent stream PF-L, these filters came with the tank along with the filter system. The 5 gal was a starter kit as well. Those are Tetra Whispers