55 Gallon Tank Hello everyone I’m a newbie!

Keno17

I’m a beginner with a 55 gallon African cichlids tank that’s been running for three months!

PlantedCommunityTank132

Welcome to the forum :). Is the cichlid tank your only tank?

Keno17

Yes it’s my only tank for now I’m start to get a 125 gallon tank together to replace my 55 gallon tank!

PlantedCommunityTank132

Will you stock it with the same fish?

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

richiep

Croeso welcome to fishlore keno

Keno17

Will you stock it with the same fish?
Yes the fish I have in my 55 gallon will move to the bigger tank and then I was gonna get a 75 gallon and stock it with a different community of fish.

Sofiafish17

Wow, MTS hit your fast! Lol
Welcome to Fishlore!

Lily123121

Welcome, Newbie! Nice to meet you. I have some African cichlids too.

Lily123121

How often do you do a partial water change?
W

What’s MTS?
sometimes weekly, sometimes skip a week if parameters good, per API. Do up to 75%. Have easy system. Described it in new thread today.

MTS. =. Multiple Tank Syndrome. Fish people speak.

Keno17

So if I was to take out 5 gallons of water weekly would that lower the nitrate in my tank?

Prevail

So if I was to take out 5 gallons of water weekly would that lower the nitrate in my tank?
I've never kept african cichlids but removing water from your tank weekly will remove nitrates, but you don't actually want 0 nitrates. You should aim for between 5-20 ppm

Lily123121

I don‘t think 5 gallons is enough. That’s under 10%. I’d take at least 25%, & likely more, depending on the API test results
I've never kept african cichlids but removing water from your tank weekly will remove nitrates, but you don't actually want 0 nitrates. You should aim for between 5-20 ppm
Never been possible for me to get to zero, not even close. More like 15 ppm & that’s with pothos and Lucky Bamboo roots submerged in the water supposedly uptaking nitrates

Keno17

After my initial tank cycle I’ve been taking out 40% and my test readings before would be 40ppm and then after a day or two I’ll test again and it’s at 20 ppm. The guy at the pet store told me I should take out less water weekly so that’s why I asked!

Rose of Sharon

Welcome to Fishlore! We would love to see pics of your tank!!! :)

Keno17

You must be registered to see images

I have a total of 17 fish in my tank and I’ll post more pictures tomorrow

SamMe

Welcome and nice tank!

Lily123121

I was going to ask how many fish you have as that impacts water changes. I have 15 cichlids & 5 catfish in a 90 G tank that has a 20 G sump below. Some are relatively big, as in a 6” catfish & a 6” cichlid. Some will be moved to a 125 G I have on order. Been on order since 11/21 & they still don’t know when it’s arriving' maybe within 2 months.

How are you doing?

Sofiafish17

MTS stands for multiple tank syndrome. It’s a fish person joke for when you get a tank and then you love it so much that you get another tank, and another, until you have a whole fish room.

Keno17

Yeah I plan on getting more fish tanks since there are so many different kinds and colors of cichlids and my sulfurhead peacock just died today so I’m down to 16 fish in my tank.

PlantedCommunityTank132

Im so sorry to hear that:(

Keno17

I think I need to go through my fish name’s and make sure they are all from lake Maui

Sofiafish17

I’m sure someone can help you with that. Do you mean Lake Malawi I assume?

Keno17

Yes I was meaning Malawi

Thunder_o_b

Greetings and welcome to Fishlore :)

Keno17

I’m using seachem’s excel, advance and flourish in my tank for the plants as well as I’ve placed five tablets of the flourish and it seems like my plants sprout then start dying. Has anyone experienced that problem and what’s a good solution to fix the issue I’m having?

Keno17

Should I clean my biomaster 350 canister filter every water change or how often should I clean the canister? I’ve noticed that I do have to clean the pre filter sponge’s weekly!

Sofiafish17

Have the plants done that more multiple times? No, you don’t have to clean the filter every water change, that would be too much. I personally clean every couple months, but with an african cichlid tank those are usually overstocked to help with aggression so you might need to do it more. Try maybe every other month, and if it’s super gunky then go to once a month. Always just rinse the media in old tank water, not tap water.

Keno17

This is how my plants look!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MyFishAddiction
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
clownie99