Hello everybody from Greece

BlackGhost

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

as you already figured out I am new in this forum so I would like to introduce myself first. I am sitting in my office (at home), which is in Athens Greece, and I am wondering why my Redtail Shark look pale (I'll get to that later...). Anyways, I am a new fish tank owner (about 2 1/2 months, tank size 120 liters) and have bought with my son (3 years old) so far 2 Angels, 2 Gouramis, 2 Black Ghost Knife Fish, 1 Clown Loach, 8 Cardinal Tetra, 1 Bushy Nose Pleco and 3 Redtail Sharks.

Now to my problem (sorry if you had that one before, but I didn't find the answer in existing topics). two of my three redtail shark start to loose their black color and a grey-white color is appearing left and right of their top fin. They are acting pretty normal (playing around, eating, etc), but it seems to me that this appearance isn't normal. So could you please help with some advice..?

Thanks...

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi BlackGhost - welcome to Fishlore!

Do you have a water test kit? If not, you'll need one to test the water periodically for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates at the minimum. If you do have a test kit, can you post the test results so we can get a better idea of the water parameters?

Unfortunately, your tank is overstocked and the tank probably has water quality issues (i.e. ammonia, nitrite problems). The black ghost knife fish, though probably small now, can get quite large (20 inches, 50 cm). You'll need to return these to the store or get a much bigger tank.

Multiple red tails in the same tank isn't a good idea because they don't tolerate each other very well. The two that look pale may be getting bullied by the dominant one. What kind of gouramis are they?

Mike

BlackGhost

Reaction score
Mike thanks for your reply....,

in regards to the water condition, I do have a some test strips but their results indicators are measured with a color - compare table (JBL - 5in1 test strips). The test strip comes out ok.

Really upset about the bad news of the overstocking of my tank :-( . Are u sure? What kind of tank is required for the black ghost knife fish (since this is one of my favorite). My tank now measures 1m x 0,3m x 0,4m.

The good news is, as far as i understood, my redtail sharks are not ill. Right? They are "just" fighting with eachother...

The Gouramis are two Pearl Gouramis.

Again thanks for the help....

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your tank is 120 liters (about 30 gallons) I'd say it's overstocked having those black ghost knife fish in it.

- recommends 50 gallons (190 liters)
- recommends 95 gallons (360 liters)

I'd err on the side of caution and use the 360 liter size as a good starting point.

Just imagine a fish thats 50cm trying to turn around in a tank only 30 cm wide... Not to mention the bioload on the water.

Can't say for sure if it's a disease your sharks have without a clear photo, but it sounds like stress.

Glad to help,
Mike

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
All the way from Greece! Welcome to Fish Lore Have you learned to speak English so well in Greece or have you perhaps been to an English-speaking country?

BlackGhost

Reaction score
Dear All,

I am quite impressed of the fast feedback... ;D

Well, Mike, I guess your are right, I' ll have to think of what I'll do with my "little" (so far) black friends.They already started to recognize me when I am feeding them, so I guess given them back is out of the question... bigger tank probably. (Let's see, up to now they are only 10cm).
You might be right with the stress (in regards to the retail sharks)....

Isabelle, thanks for the warm welcome. No I haven't lived in any English-speaking country, but since I am half German - half Greek, I graduated from an American high school and University...

Last question :-[: If I take out the Black Ghost Knife fish, will the tank still be overstocked?????

Again thanks,
Marco

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah - I like the black ghost knife fish too, a super cool fish.

To your question - even when you remove the black ghost knife fish I think you'll still be overstocked. I'd take out 2 of the red tails, the 2 black ghosts and the clown loach. Put them in your new, much, much larger tank.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore BlackGhost!! Yes all of those fish will enjoy a much bigger tank
Perhaps the wife has a favorite fish you could buy to go in the much bigger tank and that would make her more enthusiastic about buying one(a bigger tank that is )
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom