Hello and any advice for a new 13.1G tank?

kalabola

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, I am new to the forum (great site!) and have a couple of questions. I have just started doing a fishless cycle using the fish food method on my 60 litre (13.1 gallon) tank. I had to go for this size due to space available.

P.h. is around 7.5 and so far I have not had any readings of ammonia. Is that normal not to have ammonia straight away?

I live in a moderately hard water area and was thinking of starting with 6 white cloud mountains. I have been advised to avoid tetras due to water hardness. How about pygmy cories? I saw another thread here mentioning about cherry barbs and pygmy cories together.

Thanks in advance!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore
Congrats on going fish less!!
I think it's pretty normal not to have an ammonia reading just yet. Cycling takes time and lots of patience!

My water is hard and I keep pygmy cories (C. habrosus) cardinals and glow lights without problems.

White clouds are pretty fish, but their high temperature range is lower than the lowest range for pygmy cories.

I've never kept Cherry Barbs, but I think they would be a good choice with your cories.

Good luck!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore

Great advice above from Lucy. I keep Tetras in very hard water with a PH of 8.2 no problems at all. Some of the more delicat Tetras need to be acclimated to that water over a few days but other than that it shouldn't really be an issue.

Cherry Barbs & Pygmy Cories would be a great mix in your tank. Guppies would be more suitable temperature wise than White Clouds if you want to keep the Pygmy Cories with them.

kalabola

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI and thanks for the welcome and quick replies!

I just tested my water and this is what the numbers say:
Ph 7.6
Ammonia possibly a hint of 0.25 ppm
Nitrite 0.25 ppm
Nitrate 5.0 ppm

Just a quick double check on numbers, I think both cherry barbs and pygmy cories need to be in groups of at least 6, i.e. 12 in total would that not overcrowd the tank?

kalabola

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just to clarify, I am on day 4 of the fishless cycle and have a heater, filter-pump, gravel (fish shop sold me gravel which came in a bag of liquid that is supposed to speed in cycle, not sure about that though!), 2 ornaments and 3 plants in the tank. It looks pretty even without the fish !

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

I think you'll be fine with the barbs and corys. My personal stocking philosophy looks not only at the size of the fish and the mess they make but also where they live in the tank. If you were trying to get 12 fish that all share the same space, yes you'll be overcrowded. But when half the fish live almost entirely in a different part of the tank, IMO, then it's okay.

Luckily for people like you and me that have water outside "normal" parameters, fish will adapt to a really wide range of parameters given enough time to acclimate. All of my fish live in 8.0-8.2 pH moderately hard water which most fish profiles say is inappropriate for them but they're all thriving.

I'm not sure which tetras you're looking at but neon tetras, at least in the States, are pretty fragile due to mass production, and need to be in well-established tanks. I've read similar things about cardinal tetras too.

-Lisa

kalabola

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the replies. I've done some more browsing and definitely like the look at the pygmy corys.

Tetras I had in mind were mainly black neon tetras. One site suggested having Celestial pearl danios or Pygmy rasboras as tank mates for pygmy corys, would you know about those?

I found this seemingly useful tool on the web regarding stocking levels:

Thanks again!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Celestial Pearl Danios are pretty little fish. They can be a bit shy. Around here they're kind of expensive. I really enjoy mine
They would be fine with Pygmy Cories.

Be careful with stocking tools and compatibility charts. Always read as much as you can about the fish you're planning on getting.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AqAdvisor is a lot like the 1"/gallon "rule" in that it's helpful to get a general idea of stocking but it's also really flawed. It's improving but it's still not something to rely on. It can be really be really difficult to stock a tank because there is so much conflicting info out there.

I've read good things about the Celestial Pearl Danios and they'd be fine in your tank size-wise. Just make sure there are lots of plants if you decide to get them so they can feel secure.

-Lisa

kalabola

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI again and thanks for replies. I popped into another LFS today and the guy in the shop said that black neon tetras may be more hardy to start with than celestial pearl danios. So I am possibly thinking of black neon tetras and otocinclus (they don't stock pygmy cories). I really liked the look of kribensis and apparently they are quite good for beginners too. Though I read somewhere that black neon tetra is not compatible with kribensis?

I seem to go around in circles with fish choice , but I am enjoying the planning stages as have still weeks to decide while tank cycles! So this could be a possible future list:

6 cherry barbs
2 otocinclus
2 kribensis

Would these be OK in terms of stocking levels for my size tank?

Thanks again!

kalabola

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
P.S. I posted a picture of the tank as it is at the moment, to give you an idea. It's in the gallery as wasn't sure how to get it here.

kalabola

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also to clarify whether 60 litres/15 US gallons (13UK) is OK for kribensis? Again I have read different views on that!

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to the site. It's a great place.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
kalabola said:
HI again and thanks for replies. I popped into another LFS today and the guy in the shop said that black neon tetras may be more hardy to start with than celestial pearl danios. So I am possibly thinking of black neon tetras and otocinclus (they don't stock pygmy cories). I really liked the look of kribensis and apparently they are quite good for beginners too. Though I read somewhere that black neon tetra is not compatible with kribensis?

I seem to go around in circles with fish choice , but I am enjoying the planning stages as have still weeks to decide while tank cycles! So this could be a possible future list:

6 cherry barbs
2 otocinclus
2 kribensis

Would these be OK in terms of stocking levels for my size tank?

Thanks again!
That would be overstocked. IMO

Your tank isn't big enough for the Kribs. IMO They are active and need space to swim. A 30 gallon tank would be much better. Maybe that's just me. lol

For your size tank you need to stick with smaller fish like the smaller Tetras, Cherry Barbs, ONE male/TWO female Honey GourmaI and/or Sparkling GourmaI (don't mix Gourmais) for the bottom you could do a group of Red Cherry Shrimp.

kalabola

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI and thanks, I realised too having read some more that kribs needed more room. That's a good idea to include shrimps, I hadn't thought of that.

Would otocinclus still be OK? And how many tetras and what type would you recommend? GouramI presumably needs to be the dwarf version?

Cory-crazy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I personally wouldn't add oto's to a new tank,they can be hit and miss whether they'd survive initially has they need algae growth in the tank...
Sparkling gourami's are cute and are classed has pygmy gourami,they would do well in your tank after it has cycled

kalabola

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the latest reply, all this help is great!

The Sparkling GouramI looks very nice but I think my water is too hard (Ph 7-8). I really like the look of the pygmy corys but am coming round to the idea that I may have to give them a miss as not sure if anyone stocks near my area and whether they're hardy enough.

I like the look of the Dwarf GouramI and water should be OK for them. How about mixing those with Platys rather than Tetras/Barbs? I wasn't going to look at platys but they could probably bring some more colour mixes than black neon tetra/cherry barb/white clouds?

If I had 2 Dwarf Gouramis, how many Platys could I add? Tank size 15G (US).

Thanks!

kalabola

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI again, I popped into another LFS today and that one was a real find! They knew about the fishless cycle . Having had a chat with the guy there, he recommended these as suitable for our local water parameters & my tank:

6 white clouds OR all male guppies
3 platy
1/2 otto later on once tank is established.

White clouds were pretty, I haven't seen them live before! But do they need cool water? Dwarf gouramis were pretty but the guy said they can be less hardy.

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore!!!!
I hope you enjoy the site.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you decide on a Dwarf Gourami, you will only want to put one male in the tank. Two males in a tank that size will fight. In order to have 2 male DG's together you would probably need a 30 gallon minimum, with enough plants/decorations to give each his own territory.

DG's were pretty hardy at one time, but due to over breeding they have become weaker. I did have a DG that I had for almost 2 years that died recently. But I also had a couple that only lived about 9 months each.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads