hello all

1. sfry2013 Initiate Member

hello i just set up my first and very own fish aquarium a few weeks ago. It is a 10 gallon tank, with a coral bubbler, filter, heater, and 2 fake plants. I have 7 fish currently in it.
    Gus Gus- a pleco cleaner fish
    Aurora- pink glofish
    Lumiere- yellow glofish
    Tantor- dalmation molly
    perdita- dalmation molly
    Nala- mickey mouse platy
    and
    Simba- my pregnant mickey mouse platy

i Have never dealt with any pregnant fish before and i have been looking up information but i would like some more input. Thank-you!

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome!

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

4. Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Hello and Welcome to Fishlore:;hi2

5. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore! There is a lot of good information here in the Sticky Posts and in the forums You really need to read up on the Nitrogen Cycle so that you understand how a filtering system works and what is going on inside the tank.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your tank is way to small for most of the fish you have. The Pleco will grow to be way to big for a 10 gallon tank and even for a 55 gallon tank. Pleco’s can grow to well over 12 inches long in a very short amount of time. Their size is only the first thing and the amount of waste they produce is another big problem and it will foul the water quickly. It is also recommended to keep Mollies in at least a 30 gallon tank because they are large waste producers and can grow to be as long as 5 inches. I would personally recommend you see if you can find a home for them as soon as you can.

6. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Great to meet you!

7. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore - feel free to ask any questions you may have.

8. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore. I hope all your fish do well.

9. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi and welcome to fishlore

10. Borisbbadd Guest

:sign0016:

11. blu3dragon619 Member Member

welcome to FL

12. sfry2013 Initiate Member

my pregnant mickey mouse fish was fatter yesterday then today, why is this?

13. sfry2013 Initiate Member

they have all actually been swimming happily and none of them seem stressed at all. i have had this tank for roughly a month and my cleaner hasnt grown an inch. i also do frequent water changes. they are all fine and happy

14. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

I am not going to say I am an expert by no means but I was giving my opinion based on my almost 50 years of keeping fish. I breed and raise Mollies to sell to local fish stores and have for years so I do know quite a bit about them so in that area I am quite well versed. I am also sure you will not find a single fish-keeper here or anywhere else that would recommend keeping a common Pleco in a 10 gallon tank for very long because they can grow way too large for the tank.

A one month old tank hasn’t even had time to fully cycle yet let alone time for the fish to grow much but as time goes by and your fish grow you are a sitting duck for failure and I was just trying to help you avoid that. Too many large fish in too small of a tank is always going to be a problem even if you do water changes three times a week. I know with around 600 gallons worth of tanks I sure wouldn’t want to try and keep up that pace for even a week let alone for ever.

Good luck in your fish-keeping endeavor! I truly hope everything works out for you and your fish.

15. sfry2013 Initiate Member

back to my original question..........................
    i would like tips on what worked for others and what didnt work for a pregnant mickey mouse platy, also her belly seemed to be bigger yesterday then it is today, any ideas?