Hello all, Newbie Here. Questions as well.

  • Thread starter Jules2012
  • Start date
  • Thread starter
  • #1

Jules2012

New Member
Member
Messages
8
Hello All,

I am newbie here to the forum. I grew up in a home where my Dad bred tropical freshwater fish. I did have a 75 Gallon one some years ago and just decided I couldn't live without one any longer. This tank I have recently set up is a small 30 gallon one, I will be getting a very large one as well once I get this down and learn more, I would like sometime to get a nice Salt Water tank.

But I am having a hard time though, the tank came with a filter and then I purchased another filter to work in conjunction with it, I have two filters running, also I have used Stability and also Prime.

I have a test kit and have tested the ammonia, which is zero, my PH is 6.8, my nitrite is 0 and my nitrate is 0. I have cloudy water, its not clearing up. I have no fish yet, and have had my tank up for approximately 1 month. I also have an aerator as well. I did use RO water, reverse osmosis, not our tap water, its horrible here, a lot of mining of copper has ruined the water here, but its just cloudy still. I have done 25% changes of water, but only 2 twice so far. I saw this awesome forum and decided to join to commune with knowledgeable people, a forum that I'm looking forward to learning from.
 

Gudgie

Active Member
Member
Messages
203
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like your tank hasn’t really started to cycle yet. Stability adds bacteria and is a great way to speed up the cycling process, but it needs a source of ammonia for the bacteria to feed on. If you haven’t already done so, I suggest adding a little bit of pure ammonia (quickest). Alternatively sometimes people use a pinch of fish food. The ammonia levels will initially spike, but then you should see the transition to nitrite and finally nitrate.

Alternatively, if you have any nearby friends with fish tanks, you could probably just get some used filter media from them - can instantly cycle your tank, depending on bioload.

Not positive on what’s causing the cloudiness, but I would guess that cycling would take care of it.

I hope that helps! Apologies if I’m repeating things you already know - sounds like you’ve certainly done some research! :)
 

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,855
Ok the cloudy is probably a bacterial bloom. Are you cycling your tank with something? Tell me about the old filter. Did it come with media? What type are both filters? What type of substrate and did you rinse it before adding to tank? What temp is the tank.
And welcome to fishlore!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

Jules2012

New Member
Member
Messages
8
Gudgie said:
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like your tank hasn’t really started to cycle yet. Stability adds bacteria and is a great way to speed up the cycling process, but it needs a source of ammonia for the bacteria to feed on. If you haven’t already done so, I suggest adding a little bit of pure ammonia (quickest). Alternatively sometimes people use a pinch of fish food. The ammonia levels will initially spike, but then you should see the transition to nitrite and finally nitrate.

Alternatively, if you have any nearby friends with fish tanks, you could probably just get some used filter media from them - can instantly cycle your tank, depending on bioload.

Not positive on what’s causing the cloudiness, but I would guess that cycling would take care of it.

I hope that helps! Apologies if I’m repeating things you already know - sounds like you’ve certainly done some research! :)
Thanks so much for your advice. The tank was filled with reverse osmosis so it never did have ammonia in there.

86 ssinit said:
Ok the cloudy is probably a bacterial bloom. Are you cycling your tank with something? Tell me about the old filter. Did it come with media? What type are both filters? What type of substrate and did you rinse it before adding to tank? What temp is the tank.
And welcome to fishlore!
Hi there, thanks so much for responding. I just saw folks responded to me just now and am a bit late on responding. It is a tank that has a filter that came with it. It is a sponge filter so I didn't trust that it was powerful enough, though it seems to be putting out some power. So then I purchased a second filter on Amazon which is called a Hygger Filter, it is a submersible, double sponge filter, and it came with bio media, ceramic balls. It is for up to 55 gallon tank, I do have 2 of them but only hooked up one of them. So when I got the tank I filled it with reverse osmosis, so do you think maybe that is why my ammonia is at zero, not sure because I did add the Prime and Stability to the tank, and I read to do that. The filter that came with the tank is all in one filter with the lighting that clips onto the tank, its by Tucker Murphy, it just has a sponge filter, and had no other media but that. So I got the Hygger one thinking it would help, so also just this week I purchased a polishing pad filter, and its still cloudy. Do you think its because it never had ammonia in the water to begin with?. I know another poster had mentioned I should try adding ammonia and/ or fish food? I have a gravel substrate, I rinsed and rinsed it over and over before adding. I also saw my tank was clear for a few days at first, and then it just looks milky now. I had the tank at 84 degrees and now have it at 82 degrees, this week I changed the temp to 82. Thanks ahead of time for any help and suggestions.
 

Gudgie

Active Member
Member
Messages
203
Jules2012 said:
Thanks so much for your advice. The tank was filled with reverse osmosis so it never did have ammonia in there.
By the way, this page has great info on cycling if you haven’t come across it yet: Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

Jules2012

New Member
Member
Messages
8
Gudgie said:
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like your tank hasn’t really started to cycle yet. Stability adds bacteria and is a great way to speed up the cycling process, but it needs a source of ammonia for the bacteria to feed on. If you haven’t already done so, I suggest adding a little bit of pure ammonia (quickest). Alternatively sometimes people use a pinch of fish food. The ammonia levels will initially spike, but then you should see the transition to nitrite and finally nitrate.

Alternatively, if you have any nearby friends with fish tanks, you could probably just get some used filter media from them - can instantly cycle your tank, depending on bioload.

Not positive on what’s causing the cloudiness, but I would guess that cycling would take care of it.

I hope that helps! Apologies if I’m repeating things you already know - sounds like you’ve certainly done some research! :)
Hi there again, how much ammonia do you think may be a good idea to try to put in for a 30 Gallon tank to get the bacteria to feed? Thanks so much for your suggestions. Should I remove the polishing pads, or do you think that will not effect the ammonia from working?
 

Gudgie

Active Member
Member
Messages
203
Jules2012 said:
Hi there again, how much ammonia do you think may be a good idea to try to put in for a 30 Gallon tank to get the bacteria to feed? Thanks so much for your suggestions. Should I remove the polishing pads, or do you think that will not effect the ammonia from working?
Looks like there’s a calculator here for determining what volume to add based on the strength of your ammonia solution. Should be a good place to start. :)
Aquarium Calculator - Fish Tank Volume, Heater Size, Chiller Size & More!

As far as I’m aware the polishing pads shouldn’t matter, assuming they’re just additional mechanical filtration. If the pads have any sort of nitrate- or ammonia-removing properties (I’m sure that would be advertised on their box), then I’d probably pull them out until your tank cycles.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

Jules2012

New Member
Member
Messages
8
Gudgie said:
Looks like there’s a calculator here for determining what volume to add based on the strength of your ammonia solution. Should be a good place to start. :)
Aquarium Calculator - Fish Tank Volume, Heater Size, Chiller Size & More!

As far as I’m aware the polishing pads shouldn’t matter, assuming they’re just additional mechanical filtration. If the pads have any sort of nitrate- or ammonia-removing properties (I’m sure that would be advertised on their box), then I’d probably pull them out until your tank cycles.
Thanks so much, this is very helpful. Appreciate it.
 
Top Bottom