Hello All! New and inexperienced with a few questions.

Katie993

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Be sure to test whatever you decide to use before putting it in the tank. I've found some purified water with a ph of 9 straight out of the bottle. Spring water can be the same way.

Firsttimefishowner

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi! I'm new too and I applaud your patience! I never thought I would love these fish as much as I do (we got fish for our kiddos as well). It takes time to get the tank cycled and ready for fish. We did glofish at first and have since added Mollys and Plattys. It's so fun! Hope you and your kids enjoy!

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hagar said:
I assumed distilled would be the safest, rather than tap or spring that might have things in it that may be harmful.
What is recommended as the ammonia source? (I do most shopping on Amazon due to price and convenience.)
I understand that too much ammonia is a bad thing, so the Tetra kit I ordered also measures ammonia.
What fish do you suggest (keeping in mind I'm a beginner with a 5 gallon.) I would really like brighter fish with vibrant (neon) like colors.
I'm a pretty patient guy and want to make sure the tank conditions are as close to optimal before adding living creatures. My daughter would be devastated if one of our new friends died due to negligence.
Thanks friends

Thanks for baring with me. I'm lucky to get a ton of patient members providing me with measured, essential info. Taking it slow and forming a sound foundation.
I used pure ammonia. you can buy it in gallon form from any hardware store etc. You'll have to look online to find directions on exactly how much.
Bottled bacteria can also help accelerate a cycle.
Maybe you can do a few pea puffers? They're tiny, only get to about an inch, super interactive and curious. Not neon colored but...

OP
H

Hagar

Reaction score
Hello Again. I've recently noticed small amounts of algae on the sand and amazon sword in my tank. Is anyone familiar with API Algaefix?

New Threads