Hello all, I'm new also!!!

1. scardiecat Initiate Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm new here. New to having a fish tank also... I have a 20 gallon tank and that is about all I can tell you about it. I don't know about the stuff you guys are talking about... The guy at the store told me I didn't need to get the test kit so I didn't... I don't think that was a good idea.. So I have 2 cat fish, 4 guppies, 1 golden Molliy, 1 Betta, 1 tetra and a snail. I turned the temp up and I put some stuff called cycle in the tank last night...
    Any advice will be welcome...

thanks
    Connie

2. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

welcome (again ;D)!!!!!!

3. scardiecat Initiate Member

thanks!!!!!!

4. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore!  It's great to have you with us!  To get you started, here's a link to articles you really need to read and understand to keep your tank healthy

https://www.fishlore.com/Forum/index.php?topic=620.0

Next, I agree that your local fish store (lfs) guy gave you bad advice when he told you that you didn't need test kits.  You absolutely need them!  I would recommend you purchase an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test Kit.  You can order one online (PetSmart has them on sale for $13.49 right now), or try and find one locally.  Usually the local stores sell them for about $30.00 unless you get one on sale.  You can even try and print the PetSmart ad and take it to your local PetSmart and they might possibly honor the sale price.  Testing you tank water is essential in knowing when something is wrong in your tank.  Even the experts can't tell by looking at the water when there's a problem.  I have had zero luck with that cycle product.  In my opinion, it is expensive junk you are pouring in your tank.  I would not buy any more if I was you.  Now that you have quite a few fish in your tank, your ammonia and nitrite levels will be rising, and you'll need your test kit to monitor this and keep the levels down by doing water changes, so your fish don't get sick.  You will understand what I am talking about when you read the cycling article.  Make sure you understand completely what cycling is, and ask questions when you don't understand something.  You are probably gonna have a rough ride ahead.  Please do not buy any more fish at this time, even if you lose some.  Your tank needs to be cycled before adding any more fish.  We will be here to help you get your tank running and work with you until the tank is cycled.  We love to talk fish, and hope you will continue to post here and talk to us.  Let us know when you get that master test kit, and then post your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels so we can help you along.  We're glad you've decided to join us, and hope you find this site fun and helpful!   ;)  

5. scardiecat Initiate Member

Thanks for the info!!!! I will [pick up a kit tomorrow... I have been doing a 20% change of water every other day!!! Hope that is helping!!! I picked up a gravel vacuum the other day too... I am going to try that tomorrow.. Wish me luck...

6. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Good Luck! You can do this! ;)

7. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

cycle is good i used it in my tank and my sisters tank and my friends tank and there have been no problems

WELCOMe

8. Jon Well Known Member Member

one problem you might encounter is that i beleive you said you have a betta and 4 guppies in the same tank. if any of the guppies are males they large fancy tails might attract the betta and he might attack/ bite the tails... just make sure u watch closesly and buy a kit and read up on cycling your tank

9. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Welcome! :D

10. maybet Initiate Member

i also am very new at this...but this website and this forum are awesome. The people are very helpful and friendly. Welcome. :D