Hello all! I am a somewhat new fresh water fish hobbyist and I have referred to the website many times, thanks for being there!

Syracusefish

Reaction score
Hello all! I have been a fresh water fish hobbyist for the past three years and I have referred to the website many times, thanks for being there! I have two 29 gallon tanks, both planted with java fern, java moss, pennywort and anubis. One tank is home to 8 neons, 3 honey gourami, 3 harlequin rasboras and a bristlenose pleco. The other tank had a single female plattie, a couple of male guppies, six candy cane tetras and a bristlenose pleco. Today I started to remove water from this tank to do a water change and within a span of ten to fifeteen minutes the guppies and the candy cane tetras were all dead! I had not replaced any of the water yet. The pleco and plattie are fine. The other tank that I cleaned after the shock wore off somewhat is fine. Can someone give me some idea what the heck happened?

Bettafish1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Syracusefish said:
Hello all! I have been a fresh water fish hobbyist for the past three years and I have referred to the website many times, thanks for being there! I have two 29 gallon tanks, both planted with java fern, java moss, pennywort and anubis. One tank is home to 8 neons, 3 honey gourami, 3 harlequin rasboras and a bristlenose pleco. The other tank had a single female plattie, a couple of male guppies, six candy cane tetras and a bristlenose pleco. Today I started to remove water from this tank to do a water change and within a span of ten to fifeteen minutes the guppies and the candy cane tetras were all dead! I had not replaced any of the water yet. The pleco and plattie are fine. The other tank that I cleaned after the shock wore off somewhat is fine. Can someone give me some idea what the heck happened?
Did you turn off any air stone while you did a water change?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Syracusefish said:
Welcome to Fishlore. I am happy you have joined us but am sad that it took something like this to bring you here :(

Is there anyway possible that your siphoning hose could have gotten something on it? I can't think of anything else that could have caused a die off like this happening so suddenly.

tum0r

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Is it possible that the light came into contact with the water and shocked the fish?

OP
S

Syracusefish

Reaction score
I turn off the filter when the water level is lower than the intake so that the filter is not running dry. When the water level is returned to an appropriate level I turn the filter back on.

OP
S

Syracusefish

Reaction score
tum0r said:
Is it possible that the light came into contact with the water and shocked the fish?
No. The light is secure and the hood on the top of the tank would have prevented the light from contacting the water.

OP
S

Syracusefish

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
Welcome to Fishlore. I am happy you have joined us but am sad that it took something like this to bring you here :(

Is there anyway possible that your siphoning hose could have gotten something on it? I can't think of anything else that could have caused a die off like this happening so suddenly.
Thanks to everyone for your quick responses. I always sanitize everything that I use to clean the tanks with a small amount of bleach diluted in water. After letting everything soak I rinse everything a couple of times and then let it air dry. I have done this for the past three of so years of cleaning the tanks. I am really scratching my head on this because if something contaminated the tank I would think that it would have killed all of the fish. I checked for ammonia and nitrate levels and everything is on the safe side. Maybe this is going to be something that I just will not have an answer for.

tum0r

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Syracusefish said:
Thanks to everyone for your quick responses. I always sanitize everything that I use to clean the tanks with a small amount of bleach diluted in water. After letting everything soak I rinse everything a couple of times and then let it air dry. I have done this for the past three of so years of cleaning the tanks. I am really scratching my head on this because if something contaminated the tank I would think that it would have killed all of the fish. I checked for ammonia and nitrate levels and everything is on the safe side. Maybe this is going to be something that I just will not have an answer for.
There any way the heater malfunctioned or cracked? This really is a stumper

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Syracusefish said:
This one definitely is a head scratching event. I can't imagine anything that would have just killed some of the fish and do it so quickly. The fact that it killed all of the guppies and all of the tetras and didn't affect the rest of the fish just doesn't make any kind of sense but then you already knew that.

OP
S

Syracusefish

Reaction score
tum0r said:
There any way the heater malfunctioned or cracked? This really is a stumper
I had not thought about the heater so I just checked the water temp with a digital thermometer and the temperature is accurate. I don't see any hairline cracks in the housing and the light in on.

New Threads