Hello All From Wv

Adam85

Reaction score
Just recently got a 20 gal tank for my son. Having trouble getting it started. Hope I can find some help here.

windrunner9189

Well Known Member
Reaction score
hello, welcome to fishlore!
what are you struggling with, exactly? i'm not an expert, but there are other people here who can help you out with this

Adam85

Reaction score
Well we let the tank run for two days after putting tetra safe start in it before we put the fish in. We put in 3 bala sharks, 4 neons, and 2 glow fish. They lasted about an hour then all died. We then were told by the place we bought the fish to put in stress coat. We did and got more of the same fish with the same results again. What am I missing?

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Adam85 said:
Well we let the tank run for two days after putting tetra safe start in it before we put the fish in. We put in 3 bala sharks, 4 neons, and 2 glow fish. They lasted about an hour then all died. We then were told by the place we bought the fish to put in stress coat. We did and got more of the same fish with the same results again. What am I missing?
Your tank hasn’t cycled and your parameters are probably way off. Don’t add anymore fish! Take a sample of the water to your local pet store and have them test the waters parameters! (Ask for actual numbers! Don’t accept they’re fine as an answer) Then come back and post them here so we can help you address the problem correctly!

Brian Knowles

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!!!! You've come to the right place to get answers. Unfortunately your local big box fish store is in the business of selling fish and chemicals. Follow @Thedudeiam94 advice, and you will be successful. The only thing different I would say, is get you an API test kit, and don't rely on someone you don't know to test your water.

Adam85

Reaction score
Went to our local Petco and dealt with a really knowledgeable woman. She explained the cycle it needed to go through first. Also bought a test kit and the results were high range PH-8.0, PH-at least 7.6 maybe a little higher, ammonia was at 0.25.

The first place I dealt with never told me about any of this.

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Adam85 said:
Yes we dechlorinated our tank.
Ok, great. What product did you use?

I still stand by what I said that an uncycled tank should not kill them in an hour.

Do you have a test kit? The API Master Kit is the one most used here on the forum.

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The ammonia has to be from your tap, which is not out of the ordinary. I'm assuming 0 nitrites as the fish were not in there long enough. And any nitrates are going to be from your tap as well (again not un-normal).

Double check the heater to make sure there are no cracks of any kind. Check the cord for any fraying as well.

What sorts of ornaments and plastic plants in your tank? Substrate? Filter? Heater? (If you purchased tank and filter as a kit, name brand?)

Sorry for all the questions, but there is obviously something in your water that is killing fish, and fast.

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You’re heading in the right direction! Keep up the good work and remember ask questions if you are unsure about anything!!

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I am at a loss. If the heater looks good. Nothing stuck in the filter. Substrate and all decorations made specifically for aquariums. If yes to all those....

I would start over. You have nothing else to lose at this point. Rinse/soak everything in very hot water, and then re-assemble. Do a fishless cycle. If you have to do a fish in cycle, do not buy so many fish. Maybe 2-3. But I highly recommend the fishless method, but I know how young ones can be lol.

However, do NOT get any more bala sharks. They are over a foot long when full grown.

https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-BalaShark.htm

Adam85

Reaction score
I was wandering do you think an air block would help. Only reason I ask is the fish sank when they died instead of floating.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom