hello agian

1. Mattkelsey Initiate Member

I just purchased 5 lil fish can u tell me were i can find details on them and are they a good starter fish the fish is called White Cloud Mountain thanks for any advise

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

3. erk419 Member Member

Not trying to be mean or anything but its good to get in the habit of researching fish before you buy them no mater how hard it is to wait. Trust me I learned this the hard way

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Matt,
    IMO, there are no good fish to start the cycling process.

I see that you just started your tank on Dec 11th?
    During the process, ammonia and nitrites reach toxic levels
    You're going to have to pay close attention to the water parameters and begin to do daily water changes once you get any ammonia reading. Also, use a good water conditioner that detox's ammonia and nitrites for 24 hrs between water changes.
    Otherwise, your fish may not make it through the cycle with out illness or possible death.

Perhaps you'll consider returning the fish and do a fish-less cycle
    Here are Four Methods of Fish Less Cycling

Good luck, whatever you decide to do. :)

5. Mattkelsey Initiate Member

lucy i under stand your fish concern i filled up my tank agian. using the water from each of the petstores tanks . i paid 40 dollors for his bio max filter were bacteria lives i would never endanger a fishes life i would feel bad plus my kids would hate me. i was told their endangered.
    i wanted the kids to learn to respect life and gain love and learn from them maybe it was wrong rush and buy the filter then do it on my own.
    i am sorry to get defensive but i would like to be known as a fish lover not one that will hurt fish to get my own gratification

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Matt. Congrats on the new fish. Am I reading correctly that you purchased a filter with established bio media from one of the pet stores? They actually took it off of one of their tanks? If so, "wow", that's great! I haven't heard of a fish store going to that length for one of their customers.

Best of luck and please keep us updated. What you're doing for your children is "great".
    Ken

7. Mattkelsey Initiate Member

thanks well it is a good learning tool and yes the local pet store here is very friendly and i think i might just have over fed them they are going crazy in the tank for blood worms their eating them non stop

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

LOL If you're using frozen blood worms, sometimes there is more in there than you realize. Try to remember that in most cases, for fish in home aquariums, the fishes stomachs is about the size of one of their eyes. I'm sure we've all over fed a time or two or three...
    If you can take some photos we'd love to see them!
    Ken

9. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Its hard not to overfeed when they beg :'( its those little begging eyes!!

Let us know how you get on and we would love to see pictures :). I believe those are good starter fish.

10. Mattkelsey Initiate Member

hello agian i uploaded some of the fish and the cat checking it out let me know what u think

11. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Too cute! Thanks for sharing.
    Ken

12. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

If the shop sold you an established filter off of his tanks, that's great!

I'm sorry, you felt defensive.
    I didn't mean to imply that you do not respect the lives of your fish.
    It's just when some members have started out they didn't know about the cycling process and their tank ended in heartache.

Love your pics! Kitty TV! lol

13. Mattkelsey Initiate Member

yes i think we have the same cats

14. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

lol, I was thinking the same thing.

15. Mattkelsey Initiate Member

mine a long haired persian

16. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Matt, I love your kitty! I had one for 7 years just like it. Lucy's pics always remind me of her, and now yours do too. :)

I think the white clouds are okay as a starter fish, but what fish do you want to end up with? I'm not positive, but I think these fish are like goldfish where they prefer colder water than tropical fish do. I don't know how well they'd do with guppies or cherry barbs or whatever.

Fish compatibility is a huge factor in what you can get next (after these guys have been in a couple of weeks, and you've done water tests to make sure the cycled media is keeping up with the bioload, of course). Please make sure you research before you buy, even if it means checking out what you like at the fish store, going home to research it, and then going back to the store to buy. I can tell you from my own experience and from reading many others that the stores will not always consider all factors when giving advice, and sometimes will recommend inappropriate fish (how many people have a bala shark in a 10 gallon). I hate the thought of your children's faces if you buying something and then have to take it back.