HELLLPP!!!

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OMG.. what is wrong with my molly? It is doing a roll.. and turns upside down, facing down.. then it rolls back up. Then does a roll again unto its back. The poor thing.. what can be wrong?? :'(

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well I went into the fish disease section and went down the list, came across a post that had a link to a fishpharm.com ( i think) very informative and I found, i believe the problem is called whirling disease. It is a swim bladder bacterial infection. It being late at nite there is no where I can get any meds, and the molly quivers its poor body at times as it goes head over tail. Id like to ask anyone who may be able to help, what should I get tomorrow asap to treat the whole tank? and is this something that the tetras and the new angels can also develop? Should I take the molly out asap? Can the rest be infected now??
thanks for any advice. ~ kate

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It could be whirling disease or flipover. Let's go with whirling disease for now. Seperate her from any other fish asap, it seems to be spreadable.

The meds that I found for treatment are:
QUININE SUFATE:
USE: Resistant strains of Ich (especially on scale less fish). Protozoan, sliminess of the skin and Rams disease (whirling disease). Also good for resistant strains of Hexamita when combined with Metronidazole.
DOSAGE : 250 mg per 10 gallons of water. Once a day for 4-5 days. Do a 25% water change before each treatment.

KANAMYCIN SULFATE;
USE: It is used to treat many sensitive gram–negative and some gram–positive bacteria. Works especially well in salt water aquariums. Works well combined with Nitrofurazone for flexibacter (columnaris) (Symptoms: Fuzzy, thin, white coating on the body and fins. Looks like a fungus). Also useful for Pseudomonas-Open red sores or ulcerations, fin and tail damage,fins and tail are eaten away, in severe cases, down to the body (can be combined with Neomycin for this). Kanamycin can be effective for whirling disease and dropsey. Kanamycin sulfate appears to prevent bacteria from making their cell walls, so the cells die.
DOSAGE: 250-500 mg per 20 gallons. Treat every 48 hours with a 25% water change before each treatment. Treat for 10 days.

I'm not sure where to get those exact meds, but you can get meds to treat gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria. You can try:
or
& together or one of

If it's flipover, air would have to be removed from her swim bladder by a vet. Best of luck with her and you should be able to find at least one of those med options at your local store.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thank you so much for getting back to me. I have been trying to figure out what to do for the molly. I hardly slept last nite, worried about it. For some reason after loosing the other fish, i thought this large molly was ok and then all of a sudden the symptoms showed up. I will go up to the pet supply store in town and get something asap when they open this am. I took the molly out last nite an put it in a bowl of water. Never thinking it would still be alive this am, but it is. and still sick. The lil tetra, one in particular was very curious about what was going on with the molly and stayed close by watching last nite. Since all my tanks are now in use, is this something i can treat in the bowl? then put it back in the tank? Do you think I should treat the whole tank? and would that be safe for the angels, these meds? thanks so much for your help, i really appreciate it! ~ kate

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
capekate said:
thank you so much for getting back to me. I have been trying to figure out what to do for the molly. I hardly slept last nite, worried about it. For some reason after loosing the other fish, i thought this large molly was ok and then all of a sudden the symptoms showed up. I will go up to the pet supply store in town and get something asap when they open this am. I took the molly out last nite an put it in a bowl of water. Never thinking it would still be alive this am, but it is. and still sick. The lil tetra, one in particular was very curious about what was going on with the molly and stayed close by watching last nite. Since all my tanks are now in use, is this something i can treat in the bowl? then put it back in the tank? Do you think I should treat the whole tank? and would that be safe for the angels, these meds? thanks so much for your help, i really appreciate it! ~ kate
These meds are strong and i'd try to just treat her, if possible. Hopefully the others are all good and if they show no symptoms, won't need any meds. The gel-tek meds are great for a bowl situation like you have - her food can be soaked/coated in the med and then fed to her - the dosing for adding it to the water is on a per-fish basis too. The Sulfa and Maracyns might be harder to dose for a small container, unless they have them in the powder form and it's still a bit tricky when treating less than 10 gallon. I'd leave her in whatever she's going to be treated in, either the bowl or a small q tank (if you wanted to pick one up). with a t-valve and some air hose, you can even put a little airstone in her bowl to help her out.

If you have any vitachem, she could use that in addition to meds.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks so much for adding the links.. now I know what to look for, whats in it and what its used for. Good products to keep on hand an I will stock up on them so that next time when this happens during the time the stores are closed, I will have something handy. Heading out as soon as the store opens.
thanks again for all your help!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
you're welcome. best of luck with your molly and we hope she'll recover.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fishyfarmacy.com a great place for information on fish diseases and a chart to follow showing symptoms. I wanted to add this note since it seems that swim bladder disease is not as rare as I thought...

A). The fish whirl or wobble around the aquarium This is a gram-positive bacterial infection of the swim bladder known as: Whirling disease Treat with TMP Sulfa -or- Erythromycin

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom