55 Gallon Tank Heavily Stocked Tank Water Changes?

Queasy
Hello Everyone!

I have a guppy community ~55-60 gal.
Stocking:
30 Cardinal Tetras
11 Corys
~20 Danios
A truckload of guppies (they breed like crazy). If I had to estimate I'd say easily 70+

They seem very happy and stress-free. I don't have any diseases and deaths are minimal. I currently do 3-4 ~20% water changes a week. Plants here are very low quality and I never seemed to have any luck with keeping them alive in the past. My question is, can I safely do 20% water changes daily without disrupting the biological balance of the tank? Or will this bring more harm than good?

ArowanaQueen
Isn't this tank way too overstocked? Even if you go by the inch per gallon rule (which I feel is always on the overstocking side), your bioload is double of what it should be.

what type of filter do you use?

Queasy
Priyasingh said:
what type of filter do you use?
I have two heavy-duty sponge filters, and a Fluval canister being installed this weekend. Yeah, it's pretty stocked, which is why I'm asking whether or not I can do daily 20% water changes without messing with my biological balance. I don't let my nitrates go above ~10, and I don't overfeed. The fish have lots of space to swim as well.

mattgirl
My 55 gallon is over stocked. I change out 50% of the water in it every week and then once a month change out even more.

If your tank is cycled and you have it over filtered there is no need to be doing water changes daily. Water changes shouldn't mess with the cycle as long as you add your water conditioner and temp match the water before pouring it in there.

Tony M
Adding the canister will make a big difference. I keep cichlids slightly overstocked and change 75 to 80% weekly.

Queasy
Tony M said:
Adding the canister will make a big difference. I keep cichlids slightly overstocked and change 75 to 80% weekly.
Yeah, hopefully! I had a SunSun HW302 but it gave in. Hopefully, my Fluval will be here this weekend to take its place. I prefer to do daily water changes of like ~20% than a weekly 80% since it's much easier for me and less time-consuming. Once the Fluval gets here I'll probably cut down on water changes to like ~15-20% twice a week.

Cherryshrimp420
Nothing wrong with water changes if the water parameters are the same...In fact, a drip system is probably the best for an overstocked tank....

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom