Heavily-planted 20g tank… how many CPDs?

Janine5683

My CPDs breed like crazy in a heavily planted 20g long tank.

At some point, I’m going to hit over population.

How do I know when that is? When parameter levels start rising too fast? Or should I try and stick to a certain number? It’s so hard to count them with all the plants Or maybe there’s some other way?

I recently switched to a Fluval 107 canister with a surface skimmer, and can add a sponge filter on top of that if it helps. Also recently started using RODI water, remineralized to 120ppm with Equilibrium

SparkyJones

it will collapse on it's own, the fish will inbreed, waste will get hard to manage and hard to keep the tank clean, your feedings will increase and it will cost more and more to feed. water quality will decline, Just the way it goes.

So how do you know when you've reached the point it's a problem?

IT WILL BE A PROBLEM! When you reach that point, things will go wrong and continue to,
and then you'll know it's gone too far. You'll have a high food bill each month, or you'll have deformed fish from inbreeding, or sick fish from them being crowded and bad water quality from too much waste. Possible the fish stop breeding themselves if conditions are no longer right for them to do it.

Idea is to have control and keep it from becoming a problem in the first place. Set a line, and keep the line, Sell or gift your extra fish. sort out your females from males and just keep the number of males you want and they won't reproduce. Plenty of different strategies to maintain control. reduce down your females so there's less reproduction.

More filter doesn't add more water or space to a tank. it just adds more filter. More filter will just get you a little more time on a crowded tank between water changes, it doesn't solve the problem, it just puts it off a bit.

Janine5683

Gotcha, thank you!! Maybe I’ll look into adding something now that will help keep the population in check and balanced while the tank isn’t overstocked. Right now it’s just 6 kuhlis and 8 CPDs

SparkyJones

Gotcha, thank you!! Maybe I’ll look into adding something now that will help keep the population in check and balanced while the tank isn’t overstocked. Right now it’s just 6 kuhlis and 8 CPDs
Kuhli Loaches eat most all eggs and their own eggs. I don't think you have much to worry about the CPDs will spawn almost daily and drop eggs, but those loaches should get most if not all of them I think.

Janine5683

Kuhli Loaches eat most all eggs and their own eggs. I don't think you have much to worry about the CPDs will spawn almost daily and drop eggs, but those loaches should get most if not all of them I thin

I think the plants help provide shelter for the eggs / fry

I had 4 survive to adulthood in this tank when there were 8 kuhlis and a betta the betta does have diamond eye, but can still see

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Yeoy
Replies
Views
Rylan
Replies
Views
Cinabar
Replies
Views