Heating/filtering A Tank Without Power?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Charchar2, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Charchar2

Charchar2Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +46
    Experience:
    5 years
    I’m allowed to have a single small tank in my dorm, and I’d really like to set up a (heated, filtered, planted) 5g for a betta. The only problem is winter break. I fly home then, so there’s no way to bring the fish with me, and all power is cut off in the dorms until students come back after break. That’s 20 days without power, and without anyone to feed the fish.

I know there are automatic feeders that might work, and I hope that a heavily planted tank might help offset the betta’s bioload (planning to look more into the Walstad method). But I don’t know how I could keep the tank warm enough for such a long time. Are there any heaters/filters that run on battery power (and could run for nearly a month without new batteries)? Is there some clever solution here that I’m missing?

Any help would be much appreciated. I just miss having fish around!

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,576
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    One solution is to find someone who lives there who would fish-sit your betta at their house. Another solution would be to set up a tank at home, bag the betta with 100% O2 and take it with you. I don't know of any battery powered filters or heaters or of any automatic feeders, electric or otherwise, that I would trust to operate flawlessly for even a short time without monitoring. There are battery powered air pumps that would work for sponge filters but the battery life expectancy, running continuously, ranged from 10 to 48 hours, depending on the type of batteries the unit used. There are battery powered aquarium heaters but reliability and longivity are questionable as well. Most of the battery powered equipment is designed for short power outages.

3. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,206
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    With a planted tank, the plants will also need light. If there is no power, there will only be ambient light coming in thru the windows, so I do not know if that would be enough. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I really don't think it will work out unless you make friends with someone who lives near by that would take in your betta while you were away.

4. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,163
    Experience:
    2 years
    Is your tank close or somewhat close to a window? You could invest in a solar powered air pump and run some airline to a sponge filter while your away. As far as the lights maybe you could find a battery operated one that has a timer possibly. Good luck enjoy your break from school!

Become a Fishlore Member