Heating a tank by heating the room?

Dewclaw83

Curious if you wanted to keep 2.5 gallon "tanks" at 78-80 degrees, what temperature would you have to have the room at?

AquaticQueen

The room would need to be at a constant 78-80 degrees but the temp of the room will probably change throughout the year so I would just get a small 20 watt heater, just to be safe.

Dewclaw83

AquaticQueen said:
The room would need to be at a constant 78-80 degrees but the temp of the room will probably change throughout the year so I would just get a small 20 watt heater, just to be safe.
I didn’t go into detail, sorry. It’s a growth chamber designed to hold at a constant temperature, and it wouldn’t be a long term situation.
Isn’t a tank usually a few degrees colder than the air though?

Betta'sAnonymous

Dewclaw83 said:
I didn’t go into detail, sorry. It’s a growth chamber designed to hold at a constant temperature, and it wouldn’t be a long term situation.
Isn’t a tank usually a few degrees colder than the air though?
Maybe at first. After awhile it matches room temp and will do so unless cooler water is added to it.

John58ford

To a point, water will be cooler than dry air, this can be seen by the example of wet bulb measurements. The effect is caused by evaporation and is affected by dewpoint/relative humidity, as well as air flow

Honestly, at normal temperature in the 30-50% relative humidity range, the most you would see is a 2-4 degree fahrenheit difference from room temperature. Less so with the effect of a lid increasing the humidity/buffering the air above the water.

So the answer that it is basically the same is basically true, most aquarium thermometers are off by a degree or two, so are the heaters we buy so the room technique is likely just as accurate and more stable.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom