Heating A Betta Tank (questions)

BettaBabe805

Reaction score
Hello! I just became the lucky owner of a male dragon scale betta yesterday and after getting him all acclimated in his .5 gallon tank i realized my room is too drafty and cold for a tropical fish. I ran to the pet store and bought the ZooMed BettaTherm mini sized betta bowl heater but i have a few questions before using it and unfortunately nobody at the pet store could answer them. First i want to be sure that this heater will be okay for a .5 gallon tank as it’s advertised for a 1-3 gallon... reviews on amazon say it’s worked well for their .5 tank but i of course want to be sure. I also don’t quite know how to go about placing it. Should i just put it in under the gravel and let it heat up the tank with Mr. Angel Butt in there or should i take him out, heat the tank, then let him acclimate like you would first introducing them to the tank?
Image1526351750.629588.jpg

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
My recommendation? Upgrade to at least a 2.5 gallon. A half gallon tank will be difficult to maintain because it is such a small volume of water. Also, I don't see a filter in that tank, which means there is no way to help keep the water clean.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your poor fish is in FAR too small a tank. Go spend $10 bucks on a 2.5 gallon or 5, $10 on a heater and $10 on a small filter. He'll be MUCH happier.

BettaBabe805

Reaction score
DuaneV said:
Your poor fish is in FAR too small a tank. Go spend $10 bucks on a 2.5 gallon or 5, $10 on a heater and $10 on a small filter. He'll be MUCH happier.
I spent $40 on this tank, all the bigger ones were at least $20 more. Not very helpful, thanks

BettaBabe805

Reaction score
Looking for help, save your judgement for someone else. This fish was gifted to me and I’m not going into debt over it

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Im not judging you, Im TRYING to help you. You dont want to hear it. If spending $30 bucks on a properly sized tank, heater and filter is going to put you into debt, either let the fish lead a miserable life until it dies or bring it back to the pet shop. Its your call.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
BettaBabe805 said:
I spent $40 on this tank, all the bigger ones were at least $20 more. Not very helpful, thanks
$40 is a rip-off, a 10 gallon aquarium at my shop is only $17...

Add a drop of dye to a glass of water vs a bucket of water. The amount that volume of water is changed can be translated to an aquarium. Smaller volumes of water are affected more by things such as ammonia, which is created by fish waste and food.

Small volumes also can fluctuate more in terms of parameters and temperature. Larger volumes can maintain a more stable temperature which means less stress for your fish.

Finally, you can actually fit a heater and filter on a larger tank. In your current setup, I see your betta becoming lethargic and sick quickly.

There are some members here that can make a half gallon work and set it up beautifully. However, without extensive knowledge of the nitrification cycle, live plants, and water parameters, we highly recommend getting something like a 5 gallon and asking the forum any questions you may have. We're here to ensure you have a healthy, happy tank.

BettaBabe805

Reaction score
DuaneV said:
Im not judging you, Im TRYING to help you. You dont want to hear it. If spending $30 bucks on a properly sized tank, heater and filter is going to put you into debt, either let the fish lead a miserable life until it dies or bring it back to the pet shop. Its your call.
Im absolutely not taking it back to the pet shop where it’ll be put back into a cup for the rest of its life are you crazy? My tank is small but it’s much better than where it was

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
BettaBabe805 said:
Helpful would be linking me to where you’re finding these elusive $10 tanks
Don't buy the betta kits, they're overpriced, too small and don't contain necessary hardware.

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
please give him a bigger tank. that's just sad. i know it may look cute, but bettas do best in 5 or 10 gallon tanks.

BettaBabe805

Reaction score
Fahn said:
$40 is a rip-off, a 10 gallon aquarium at my shop is only $17...

Add a drop of dye to a glass of water vs a bucket of water. The amount that volume of water is changed can be translated to an aquarium. Smaller volumes of water are affected more by things such as ammonia, which is created by fish waste and food.

Small volumes also can fluctuate more in terms of parameters and temperature. Larger volumes can maintain a more stable temperature which means less stress for your fish.

Finally, you can actually fit a heater and filter on a larger tank. In your current setup, I see your betta becoming lethargic and sick quickly.

There are some members here that can make a half gallon work and set it up beautifully. However, without extensive knowledge of the nitrification cycle, live plants, and water parameters, we highly recommend getting something like a 5 gallon and asking the forum any questions you may have. We're here to ensure you have a healthy, happy tank.
Thank you, this is a helpful response. I will look into other tanks but unfortunately the cheapest 5 gallon I’ve been able to find is upwards of $60. I can see if my papa will help me build one soon. As far as filters go i will get one asap, for now i have some betta balls on the way, the pet store guy said that was the best way to keep a small tank clean.
If you have any answer for my original question; can i use this heater until i get the bigger tank and if so how do i introduce it?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
BettaBabe805 said:
Thank you, this is a helpful response. I will look into other tanks but unfortunately the cheapest 5 gallon I’ve been able to find is upwards of $60. I can see if my papa will help me build one soon. As far as filters go i will get one asap, for now i have some betta balls on the way, the pet store guy said that was the best way to keep a small tank clean.
If you have any answer for my original question; can i use this heater until i get the bigger tank and if so how do i introduce it?
Unfortunately that heater is way too large. Also not sure if it would get hot enough to warp or melt the acrylic. I had bought the same one for a 3 gallon glass bowl but decided against it.

The trick is not buying aquarium kits. Here is how you could set up a 5 gallon for barely more than the half gallon:

5 gallon tank, bare - $15
sponge filter - >$5
small air pump - $5
25w heater - $15

Also if you use your tap water you will need a water conditioner to dechlorinate it.

By betta ball I'm assuming you mean Marimo moss balls. They are like tiny filters but are not enough to keep the water completely clean. What actually keeps the water clean is the bacteria that will colonize your filter.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i dought you will you get an answer since i dont think anyone on here would use a 1/2 gallon container.

BettaBabe805

Reaction score
Fahn said:
Unfortunately that heater is way too large. Also not sure if it would get hot enough to warp or melt the acrylic. I had bought the same one for a 3 gallon glass bowl but decided against it.

The trick is not buying aquarium kits. Here is how you could set up a 5 gallon for barely more than the half gallon:

5 gallon tank, bare - $15
sponge filter - >$5
small air pump - $5
25w heater - $15

Also if you use your tap water you will need a water conditioner to dechlorinate it.

By betta ball I'm assuming you mean Marimo moss balls. They are like tiny filters but are not enough to keep the water completely clean. What actually keeps the water clean is the bacteria that will colonize your filter.
Okai imma need to figure out where you’re finding these prices because even on amazon they’re so expensive. I do live in CA so that might have something to do with it I’ll look into it

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aquariums cost so much to ship and because of the high rate of breaking, online they end up costing more than in store. Walmart has a plain 10 gallon for around $12 in their fish section. Also, check your local classifieds and ask your friends if they have a tank sitting around empty. So many people have old 10 gallons shoved in a garage or basement! A little elbow grease and you've got yourself a cheap or free tank.

Everything else will probably be cheaper online, but not always. It should not break the bank though. Kits are kind of a scam.

And depending on where you bought the current tank, they should take it back with little to no question if you do decide to go larger! It is a lot better and safer for your new friend to give him more space if you can.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
BettaBabe805 said:
Okai imma need to figure out where you’re finding these prices because even on amazon they’re so expensive. I do live in CA so that might have something to do with it I’ll look into it
Is that California or Canada lol?

EDIT: Just realized it's because you're most likely looking online. I agree with shopping in person or checking out sites like Craigslist.

Kyleena696

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BettaBabe805 said:
If you mean Canada and not California you can find tanks for cheap. I bought my 29 gallon for around $40 from Big Al's. You just have to buy only the tank and not an overpriced kit as others have said.

TLOP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
1) Please take into consideration that the fish is a living thing, just like a dog. You need to provide it with the proper care so it can live its life to the fullest.
2) Nobody here is judging you, rather you should take the advice and listen to the people who have experience with aquariums.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom