Heating a 1404L/370G

JulzAlph

Hi Pals!
I'm on the process of build an 8*2.5*2.5ft 1400L/370G tank with a 5 chamber 80L/210G sump. Been keeping fish for years but this wi be the largest setup I've had by FAR!
Thinking of options for heating, and looking at an iInkbird controller with either 3 or 4 600W Schegos.
Would it be ok to run the all of the heaters in each sump chamber, with the controller probe in the main tank? Looking at a return pump around the 15000lph mark, so should be plenty of circulation..
Or should I run 1 of the heaters in the tank opposite the outlet?

SotaAquatics

What's the coldest the room gets that will have the tank, and what is your target temp range? I think you would be fine with running them all in the sump, that's how I would do it. The below calculator might help figure out how much wattage you need for heating. That's a large return pump, if its submerged it will probably help heat up the tank a couple degrees on its own.

Heater & Chiller Sizing Calculator

Upvote 0

JulzAlph

Amazing, thanks very much!
My other concern was how the usual calculation that people use (Watts per litre etc), I wasn't sure if you're to take the entirety of the sump volume into account
Ambient room temp is say minimum maybe 20c? Aiming for 28.5-29c in the tank It's a fairly well lit part of the house (no direct light on the tank) and the hot water unit it directly opposite it on the other side of the wall.

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

Yes, you will need to factor in sump volume so you are looking at close to 525-550 gallons total depending on how much water is in the sump. Since you are only going up at a max temperature difference of about 9c, you can probably aim on the lower end of about 1 watt per litre to start out. Will of course depend on if the tank is glass, covered, etc. But I think if you get a submerged return pump you wont need more then 2 600watts, might be able to get away with 1, I'm not good at calculating out equipment heat from pumps.

Older thread here from MFK, its a huge spectrum of what people need. Some people heat the tanks only with return pumps, others need several heaters depending on room temp, evaporation, etc.

Heating 500-1000 gallon aquariums

Upvote 0

JulzAlph

Thanks Soo much! Very informative :)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Magnus919
  • Question
Replies
Views