Heating 350g

Discussion in 'Pond Fish' started by Dingomama, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Dingomama

Dingomama Valued Member Member

We built a (roughly) 350g, plastic lined pond earlier this spring. It varies from 16-26in depth from the surface with about 18in underground at the deep end, and it has 6'x4' surface area. We're colder than normal for this time of year and water is at 55 F today at noon.

This winter I brought in our fish, a young koi and a young goldfish (both about 4-5in) from a small pre-formed pond because we had a much colder winter than usual and during one cold storm I lost a small koi. I guess I was panicked when I brought the other two inside.
    Now that they are inside, I want to introduce them to the new pond under the best conditions.
    I've been lucky in having several small ponds over the years with thriving fish, but I'm trying to do things by the book this time.

Also, can I get another baby koi and/or "feeder" goldfish? Do koi appreciate koi friends over goldfish and vice versa?

2. Pictusboss

Pictusboss Valued Member Member

yes. You may get more. just be careful not to overstock.

3. Galathiel

Galathiel Well Known Member Member

The pond is actually pretty small for koi considering how large they get. I wouldn't add more.

4. Pictusboss

When you said goldfish, I thought you meant the fancy variety, in which you may add more. However, If you have a common/feeder, you may not. they get over 2 feet long. The koi is a no go. I would rehome him.

5. OP
    OP
    Dingomama

Oy. The koi was a "prize" at a goldfish and koi show. I don't agree with the idea ethically, but my daughter fell in love and he were are.
    What's minimum size for koi and do they need more koi to be happy? I can see building a larger pond down the road.

6. Pictusboss

2 feet to 3 feet is the average maximum for koi. As for gallons 10 gallons per inch should suffice. so, for 3 koi, 1000 gallons should do.

7. OP
    OP
    Dingomama

Thank you.
    Thoughts on temperature the pond should be before putting in the two fish i have?
    Could aquarium heaters work short term?
    Is a koi or a goldfish ok alone?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice