Heating 125 Gallon

I am setting up a 125 gallon salt water tank. I am building a sump but wonder what size heater I need. I was thinking of putting 2 200 watt heaters in the sump. Would that work?

I'm a nano keeper so wouldn't want to advise here. Hope some of our big tank keepers can help today.
Jesterrace ryanr

HI David, welcome to Fishlore.
What size sump are you using?

I aI'm for about 3W per gallon. So that's a minimum 400W (ish) you'd want, but you also need to add sump volume into the calculation.

You also need to consider the ambient environment and your equipment. If you're in a warmer environment, you might be able to get away with less heating... Heaters generally work on being able to heat x volume of water by y degrees above ambient in z period of time. Even heaters that have temp settings have limitations.

You're equipment will also add heat to the water as they use the water for heat transfer to keep them cool.

HI David, welcome to Fishlore.
What size sump are you using?

I aI'm for about 3W per gallon. So that's a minimum 400W (ish) you'd want, but you also need to add sump volume into the calculation.

You also need to consider the ambient environment and your equipment. If you're in a warmer environment, you might be able to get away with less heating... Heaters generally work on being able to heat x volume of water by y degrees above ambient in z period of time. Even heaters that have temp settings have limitations.

You're equipment will also add heat to the water as they use the water for heat transfer to keep them cool.

Thanks for the reply. Sump is 30 gallons so it sounds like a 500 watt may be good. Any recommendations for what brand of heater to get? Something on the less expensive side.

Hi,
Two x 300W should work.

The brand of heater is dictated by your sump/tank, and what size (length) of heater you can physically fit in. I always recommend Eheim heaters, because they can be calibrated, and I've been running the same one for nearly 10 years.

However, the Eheims are extremely long compared to some of the other brands at the same wattage, and fitting them into a sump can be a challenge. If you can fit the Eheim, I'd go with them, otherwise, whatever fits really.

Just me but putting tank heaters in the sump isn't a good idea as they don't do a very good job of heating your tank in an efficient fashion. Also as mentioned the size of the sump will greatly limit what kind of and size of tank heater you can have. I run a 300 watt eheim jager in my 90 gallon (I live in an environment where it regularly gets down in the 20s at this time of year and sometimes colder). There is also the high likelihood that putting higher wattage heaters in your sump will make it difficult for you to have any kind of a refugium in there since they will be working overtime to try and keep the main tank at temp.

Top Bottom