Heaters

1. chris02_84 Member Member

Has anyone ever seen a decorative heater?

2. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

they make "covers" for them, like driftwood with a hole thru the middle for a heatr to go in...

3. chris02_84 Member Member

really...do you know where i could find one?

4. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

ummm, my lfs (just a little neighborhood thing) has a few but I don't know where else, not sure if Petco/Petsmart have them, or Petland, hmm....

5. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Never heard of them. I would think a lfs would be most likely to carry them.

6. Ruby Initiate Member

Does anyone know if the ysell heaters for 5 gal tanks? ???

7. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

yup 25 watt heater work for 5 gallon tanks

8. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

yup 5 watts for every galllon is what it should be though does anybody know if you should have more heat then 5watts per gallon and have like 6-7watts per gallon or would that be bad for the fish. What i am saying would it be better to have a 150 or 200 watt heater in my 29gallon tank?????

9. Ruby Initiate Member

Thanks. I will go grab one at wallymart.LOL ;)

10. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Two heaters on each side of your tank would be better, but the 200 watt heater would not hurt anything.

11. bullhorsetook Initiate Member

Never thought of this. What size tanks should one start looking at this as an optionr? I am looking at at a 75 gallon at the moment.

12. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

I knew about that before but since I have a 150w and a 200w I don't want to waste it but you want them on either side so that the heat is evenly distrubuted but you can start doing this at 10gallon and up. Around here it usually tends to be a little more expesive to do two but it's worth it I think but since these are my grandpa's heaters I dont want to waste them

13. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Also, with 2 heaters in the tank, if one quits working, the other can kind of take up the slack until you realize the problem and replace the bad heater. ;)

14. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

Yup though it won't take long for me to notice when mine stops working as I chekc the temp. everyday and when it's not turning on the orange light won't come on and I always see that when I sleep so I would know.