Heaters And Fluval Aquarium Kits (spec V And Flex)

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by Orion1066, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Orion1066

Orion1066Valued MemberMember

I continue to do research on Aquarium Heaters. What is most important to me is the compatibility /pairing of heaters with Fluval brand Aquarium Kits, specifically the Spec V and Flex product lines. The tanks in these kits range from 5 - 20 gallons in size. First, Fluval does not appear to make it's own heater that actually fits within it's own tanks. If I am in error, please correct me, and give me the product specifications. Otherwise, I have many other products to choose from.,

Has anyone had success with combination that is compatible considering: gallons, watts, submersibility, and measurements, that fit inside the aquarium compartment that contains the filter, media and heater for these product linnes?

2. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

3. OP
    OP
    Orion1066

In my own personal experience to date, and for reasons that I am beginning to forget, I was interested in the Fluval Line of Aquarium Kits: Spec V, Flex. First, this is beyond my understanding, and above my maximum frustration level, to endure. Second, this "fails to meet expectations" trail of comments appears in so many reviews about Fluval heaters. Third, what is most surprising, is that similar disappointments are linked specifically with a very popular, desirable and attractive, line of Fluval aquarium kits.

Fluval includes a filter and media with each of these kits. It does not include a heater with this kit. One desirable attribute of the filter/media pairing is aesthetically hidden from view, behind a panel on the side of the tank. A heater is required, and needs to be purchased. No big deal? We all do that. However, finding a compatible filter (not Fluval) that pairs wattage, submersibillity, and size -- it should fit in a separate compartment behind the panel -- is more of a challenge than I care to undertake, any longer. What do I know? I am just a potential Fluval customer who can not understand why the company does not make, and promote, or at least recommend, a heater on the market that fits, and works, with their own branded aquarium kits.

While this is not my own review, this could just as easily have been a compilation of several reviews, from several customers, via several aquarium kit retailers.

..... Bought this for a 9.5 gallon Fluval FLEX. It looks like it MAY fit vertically, however, it is NOT FULLY SUBMERSIBLE, so in order to use the product correctly, you would have to keep the water line way below the black dots that conceal the water line on this tank .... The point of the FLEX is all about viewing your aquarium without seeing equipment or water lines. The Fluval FLEX 9.5 gallon box recommends this heater and it really does not work well for the aesthetics of this tank .....

If I am mistaken, or misinformed, please provide and explanation.

4. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

I dont see where the concerns of a Heater are all heaters on the market give you dimensions if you put a overrated one in it's still only going to heat the water to what you set it at My fluval flex came without a heater so i just purchased one that fits, no matter what you do in this world people will always pick holes in products wether or not it as problems it's what they do, so I'd forget about revives and just buy a heater that fits

5. OP
    OP
    Orion1066

That should not be too difficult.

6. CHJ

CHJValued MemberMember

In my Spec tanks (3s and a 5), I stuff the 25w Hydor heater in the filter area of each just above the pump. They work great and fit perfectly. Hydor is in fact the best aquarium heater brand I have met as only 1 has failed.
    I have run pretty much all other brands over the years and Hydor is the only one that has not killed $$$ in fish (currently testing Aqueon Pros. no deaths in 6 months). After 10 breeding pairs of discus were killed by heaters I got out of discus. Massive cash losses in fish have taught me that you should run your fish in a room that is the temp you want your fish at (if your fish like ~85F this is a nonstarter for me), if you can't do this run 3 smaller heaters instead of 1 bigger heater (will not work in your fluval of course). Also with expensive fish make sure your tanks run off a UPS (if they are really expensive fish keep a generator in your garage with some stabilized gas).

With my experience with Fluval products I would NEVER buy a heater from them (I'd buy a Crockpot first!). Spec pumps are dead at the time of purchase 50% of the time and last maybe a year if they do not start DOA. LED lights fade to dim within a year (maybe because Fluval thinks everyone is buying Specs for nano/pico reefs so the lights and pump are throw away?). It is a good looking tank full of junk. If you want to replace the failed component with Fluval new, you will often pay more than the whole setup cost for a light, or pump, or glass cover. Luckily your Amazon bottom of the barrel priced Chinese pumps and LED lights are as good or significantly better than what Fluval comes with (so ~8$ to replace a component). Fluval makes great looking tanks that should not be sold as kits.

7. OP
    OP
    Orion1066

I appreciate your thourough analysis of the topic of most importance to me. Thank you!

8. Celestialpearl

CelestialpearlValued MemberMember

OP, Fluval’s parent company (Hagen) puts out two heater lines that I’m aware of. They put out the actual Fluval line which has ridiculously long tube IMO. But they also own Marina.

These tubes are shorter, adjustable and cheaper and generally cheaper than Fluval. And they should work in the Spec. The heater I have works on my 5 gal Topfin retreat. It’s a tight fit, but I’m able to get it and a bag of ceramic media behind the false back panel. It’s a 50w adjustable, 6” in length. It’s been working for a few months.

This link should take you to the heater I’m using atm... 11231 - Marina Submersible Aquarium Heater - Mini 50 W - 15 cm (6”)

As I said prior is seems to be working fine and was inexpensive, so if it does break not a huge deal as compared to the mark up on the Fluval line. The only thing that I have to critique about it is that the dial only has a plus/ minus for the target temperature, so you definitely will have to use a thermometer to tell what temperature the tank is at and gauge adjustments based from that. In other words you choose a spot to set it and hope it gets to the temp you want and adjust from there. I could say that it looks cheap and isn't "pretty", but it doesn't need to be since it functions properly to serve its purpose and is hidden from sight behind the plastic.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    Orion1066

Thanks, Pearl. I like the Marina solution you provided. Some have said this ‘heater’ issue is not a big deal. No so, for
    Me.

What has irked me, is that many Betta kits have filter outflows that are too strong for Bettas. When you add the fact that Fluval does not include/pair a heater with its popular SpecV tank, to me it is a big deal. Oh well. I will keep your recommendations handy.

Gratitudes.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  10. CHJ

CHJValued MemberMember

For bettas we buy the small double foam filters super cheap off Amazon, pop the foams off the filter and put the foam on the Spec 3 or 5's outflow nozzle.

11. OP
    OP
    Orion1066

Yes, I have heard about using these foam filters on Amazon. When I pull the trigger on a Spec V aquarium, I will order a few.

Orion