Heaters and Filters during water change

Sorg67

If I am doing less than a 50% water change, I usually do not turn the filter or heater off. I position my heaters horizontally near the bottom so it takes a 70 to 80% change to expose the heater. The canister and HOB filters seem to draw fine. Sponges I do not turn off at all since they just gurgle air.

Any problem with this practice. Okay to leave heater on so long as it stays fully submerged? Okay to leave filters running as long as they are drawing water?

Or am I missing something?

Morpheus1967

You are fine on both scenarios.

kallililly1973

That’s how I always do it.. when have my heaters the same way at the bottom.. sometimes I go lower than my filter so it’ll gurgle for a minute till I start refilling... if I have to work in the tank I’ll unplug the filter if it gets that low.. I’m at a point where it’s basically remove water add conditioner add water when an occasional filter maintenance

Brizburk

If I am doing less than a 50% water change, I usually do not turn the filter or heater off. I position my heaters horizontally near the bottom so it takes a 70 to 80% change to expose the heater. The canister and HOB filters seem to draw fine. Sponges I do not turn off at all since they just gurgle air.

Any problem with this practice. Okay to leave heater on so long as it stays fully submerged? Okay to leave filters running as long as they are drawing water?

Or am I missing something?
Exactly what I do. Unless cleaning my filter too

juniperlea

I'm not mature enough (yet) to understand (or afford) canister filters. I just have HOBs. But, whenever I change the water, they all start groaning, even thought the bottom of the intake tube is fully submerged. I dunno. I do know that the heaters are fine, as long as they're fully submerged. Sometimes, when I do a w/c, I'll just place the heater horizontally towards the bottom. And, come to think of it, is it ok to keep a heater horizontally?

DoubleDutch

I always turn out my heathers when I am waterchanging. The risk of earlier damage or while waterchanging and electrocuting me I like to prevent.

Also intern filter I pull out and canister depending of the highth of the inflow

Sorg67

electrocuting me I like to prevent.
Hmmmm..... I thought of it in terms of damaging the heater. Did not think in terms of electrocuting myself. That would not be good.

John58ford

I do it just like you in my rock tanks, in my sand tanks I usually shut the filters off if it's a significant change like 50% or if I'm moving plants around for some reason. Just to prevent sand from plugging up pre-filters, or getting pulled into impellers.

In my shallow tank, my heater is partly exposed by even a 20% change in its case I try to shut the heater off 10-15 minutes ahead of time, do my thing, then plug it back in when full. I don't wait to turn it back on like sometimes suggested but I temp match my water within a degree usually so it's not too concerning.

John58ford

But, whenever I change the water, they all start groaning, even thought the bottom of the intake tube is fully submerged.
Most of the HOB I have experience with are magnetic drive, the impeller can "float" up and down the shaft. The groaning is probably the impeller shifting a little due to an increases head height (the height it actually had to lift the water) and likely not a big deal. Mine got quieter as they built a little bio slime in the pump chamber, but would get noisy if some sand or snail shells ever settled in the impellers chamber while the pump was shut off.

come to think of it, is it ok to keep a heater horizontally?
Allot of heaters are recommended in any angle or position as long as submerged.

I have several that are not however:
The ones with low water level floats (emergency shut off) typically must be vertical. One example of such is the nicrew 15 and 25 watt nano heaters.

Also some standard tube style heaters are liquid filled instead of sand around the heater coil and their instructions will specify vertical or a maximum angle.

My digital heaters by aquatop have very sensitive thermostats and will cycle to frequently if horizontal, though their instructions didn't specify, I had one horizontal in a shallow tank and noticed excess air bubbles forming (steam in this case, not the normal ones) under the lower clamp. I put it vertical in a bucket and tested it and no harm was done but I never put them (the digital ones) sideways since. I use 3 of these in different tanks to fine tune (+-1 degree) my larger tetra heaters (+-3 degrees) with great success.

I have an array of tetra HT heaters and they all function great at any angle.

Make sure to read about your heaters specific positioning instructions.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BlackTiger
Replies
Views
Sorg67
Replies
Views
KinderScout
Replies
Views