Heaters And Airpumps

HobbyJohnny

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello all!

I currently have an Aqueon 50W heater and a Petco brand air pump. The heater has been severely undersized (40 gallon) and has been able to heat to 78 degrees pretty reliably, but I plan on repurposing it in my 20 gallon and getting a 100w for the 40.

What is the best heater out there these days? I’ve heard the newer aqueons leak or accumulate some moisture inside. I saw a cheaper brand floating around on here that seemed to be very popular.

What’s the best air pump? The air pump I have is probably every bit of 10 years old, still kicking, but is starting to have a burnt smell so a replacement is better than a fire.

Thank you for your replies!

Sanderguy777

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a fluval 300 in my 60 that works great. They make a newer one that is digital and tells you if the tank is more than 2 degrees off you set temp.
I think air pumps are mostly the same except noise. I liked the tetra whispers alot, but my current tank has 2 PetSmart brand 60 or 80 gallon rated pumps. They are louder than I like but pump air.....
I think the best way to get them quieter is to put them on a rubber mat and away from things touching that transfer vibration and sound.

HobbyJohnny

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sanderguy777 said:
I have a fluval 300 in my 60 that works great. They make a newer one that is digital and tells you if the tank is more than 2 degrees off you set temp.
I think air pumps are mostly the same except noise. I liked the tetra whispers alot, but my current tank has 2 PetSmart brand 60 or 80 gallon rated pumps. They are louder than I like but pump air.....
I think the best way to get them quieter is to put them on a rubber mat and away from things touching that transfer vibration and sound.
I might venture into those Fluval 300’s with the digitals. Not sure if I’m a fan of the plastic shell, but it’s about the same price as an Aqueon 150 so might as well.

I didn’t think the air pump mattered much. Noise isn’t much of an issue, I’ve kinda solved it. I have a plastic drawer thing (looks very nice, modern, kinda a nightstand but only $10) and I use the top drawer to hide all of my aquarium stuff, including the power strip. I have fitted two small computer fans in there to draw out heat. I build my own filters, so I have a large amount of filter floss in there. I set the air pump on the filter floss, and next to the fan to keep it cool. When you shut the drawer, the only thing you hear is the beautiful sound of bubbles popping at the top of the tank, and that is IT.

Sanderguy777

Valued Member
Reaction score
HobbyJohnny said:
I didn’t think the air pump mattered much. Noise isn’t much of an issue, I’ve kinda solved it. I have a plastic drawer thing (looks very nice, modern, kinda a nightstand but only $10) and I use the top drawer to hide all of my aquarium stuff, including the power strip. I have fitted two small computer fans in there to draw out heat. I build my own filters, so I have a large amount of filter floss in there. I set the air pump on the filter floss, and next to the fan to keep it cool. When you shut the drawer, the only thing you hear is the beautiful sound of bubbles popping at the top of the tank, and that is IT.
I'll have to thwork on that in my tank. My marineland stand has an open back so after closing that sn adding a shelf, I should have a much quieter setup....

I think the heater I have is the fluval m series. It has the mirror finish and I like that it is so thin.
I like the digital one because it basically tell you if the water is too hot or cold. But I totally understand not wanting a plastic cage in your aquarium. Lol

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've got aquatops. I had one dud but I hated it anyway since the guard on it made it impossible to read or even see if the light was on. My 300w digital one is amazing and has been quite the trooper for my 65 gal during a heat treatment. The temperature probe on it is dumb and the suction cup doesn't work for it, but other than that I love this thing and am now a convert for digital heaters. Super easy to see what temp it thinks the water is and what temp it's set to. It heats .9 f higher than I set it. I'm sure I could calibrate it if I cared, but I don't. Nor do I put that much stock in any untested thermometer and most aquarium ones are accurate enough to test 32 degrees.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom