10 Gallon Tank Heater

freebie
HI I have just sent for a heater from Ebay says it's Submersible with a guard on it size is 50Watt.
My tank is a cold water but my tank is losing heat due to weather conditions in uk and I don't want my fishes friends
getting too cold and need a contant temp for them not one that's up and down.
Also my tank has a few plants in it, danio guppies tetra's platy's and a shrimp
How do I calculate the temp for fish and plants.
Thank you

fishnewbie33
You could go here:
and put all the fish/shrimp you have and it will give you the temp that they all can have. Not sure how many of each you have, tank may be overstocked and some may need to school. Not sure about the plants...you can look them up separately and find their temps.

Once you install the heater, wait at least 15-30 min before turning it on- put it on the lowest setting that the indicator lamp just turns on (if it has one) or the lowest level and watch thermometer constantly to see how fast the temp in the tank rises. The fish will be ok with 1 degree an hour/ max 4 degrees a day. Monitor continuously until the temp is stable. Note: temp markers on heaters are not very reliable, use thermometers as a guide.

GuineaPigster
Hello!
First off, Zebra Danios are very social, so one wil not cut it.
Second of all, any temp between 75-80 would work for your stock.

freebie
Thank you for your reply's
I went to advisor and I was really shocked with the results here they are

over stocked.JPG

escapay
For those, I would shoot for around 75-76F. 78-80F is too warm for Zebra Danios in my opinion.

I've never seen that many warnings given before on AqAdvisor. You might look into either rehoming fish or getting a bigger aquarium.

junebug
Did you enter your correct tank size and filter capacity? It sounds like your tank and filter are too small for the fish you're keeping. Also looks like you don't have enough fish for your shoaling species, which is gonna stress them out and potentially cause them to become ill.

If you give us your tank size and filter info, we can confirm these results

freebie
I was shocked and upset my self
Tank size 40x26x30cm Jewel Vio40
Bio flow minI fliter 280
Air pump as extra fitted in tank
Only just got tank in July being a pensioner I can't up grade.
2 zebra danio 1 lepord danio
3guppies
3 neon tetra
2 platy
1 ghost shimp
I really thank you all for your help.

junebug
That tank isn't even 10 gallons... it's more like 8 US gallons. Not sure what it would be in UK gallons.

Too small for danios, anyway. I'd take them back to the shop right away. And pick either neon tetras or guppies to go with the platies and shrimp you have. Personally I'd go with neons, but that's up to you. Once you've decided on a fish, you can take the others back and get two more of the keepers for your school.

freebie
The tank is 40 liters 10 gallon in uk so take danio back to pet store
And replace with 3 tetra but would I still be over stocked with my other fish I just want to get things right.

Dolfan
I would recommend rehoming the danios or returning them as well as rehoming the neon tetras. This would leave you with 3 guppies, 2 platys, and the ghost shrimp, which is much more manageable for your tank size. If you wanted to, you could add 3-5 more ghost shrimp as they have a small bio-load and help clean up the bottom well.

As for your heater, with your fish, I would recommend 76ish F temp range. As others stated, adjust your temp gradually over a few hours, don't want to shock the fish with a drastic temp. change.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom