Heater Wattage and Tank Size

AesSedai

Reaction score
I had to move Zen out of his 10 gal. into a 2 gal glass container while I put all the new plants in his tank and, actually, since his 10 gal. has rock gravel, I've not been able to see him have a bowel movement so now that's he's in the 2 gal container, he's staying until I see that everything comes out ok.  He's just a lil bloated, not badly.  Since Betta are so prone to constipation, I thought this was a good time to tend to that and to fast him a day or two or until I see he goes.

But, I have his 50 watt heater in the 2 gal. container with him.  Will this be ok???  Can it harm him in any way?

Thanks,
Karyn

poefox

Well Known
Reaction score
I'm assuming that it's set for the same temp as before. That should be good. Are you going to try out the pea method of feeding him? That will help him get back on track maybe.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can read about Betta constipation here:

I would watch the heater and turn the temperature down a bit as the small amount of water will get hotter than the thermostat says. It shouldn't I know but you said that the glass was thick and I had a vase like this and the glass holds heat and in effect becomes a type of heater too.

Good luck. Take care.

Rose

OP
A

AesSedai

Reaction score
TY ((Rose and poefox))

Yep, same temp as what he came out of only clean and conditioned...not the actual tank water.  It wasn't just for the plants.  He's also escaping the spikes in nitrIte and ammonia while the tank finishes cycling.  Too much stress for him and I both. 

I'm glad to learn that it's a bit warmer than the thermometer shows because the glass container is thick (and 28 1/2" around, 10" tall).  I've adjusted for that. 

I used to make Kombucha Tea in it so know it's food safe and not lead crystal.  Wonder if lead crystal would hurt a Betta, or any fish.  I would think so. 

Nice and relaxed now.  Well, except for grumpy fish/fishy doggy.  I posted here (called Someone in another forum needs help asap) for anitakl and posted there with the url to the thread here. 

Her Betta's in big trouble.  2 weeks of constipation and a bite of food or two and in 75 degree water.  I didn't think to ask from the get go if she knows to raise the temp SLOWLY or if the water was clean and conditioned.  She mentioned he didn't like his environment changed (?) later in the thread.  I hope she isn't a victI'm of horrible advice from a lps. 

I posted telling her some of the basics but not sure she got it before changing water and/or going to bed.  I sure hope she didn't use tap and just add warmer water.  He's in a 1 1/2 gal. container with no heater.  She's already thinking she needs a larger container (good!). 

Whatever is wrong with him, it's definitely beyond my ability to help so pointed her to you guys and you guys to her.  Hope you don't mind.  She wasn't getting responses but from me and another who didn't know how to help either. 

Namaste,
Karyn

P.S. I did read the Betta care guide on one of my early visits here, thanks.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I went to the other forum and responded to her but until she can get him warmer his little digestive system is not going to work well.  They are cold-blooded and need to have heat from outside their bodies to make their metabolism quicker.  At 75 his metabolism is going to be so slow that he cannot digest any food well.  There are some fish it would not faze but bettas are VERY prone to constipation for some reason.  They must be just put together a tiny bit different. 

I am afraid that her little one is going to need to have an epsom salts bath and it is not something that I like to recommend as I know she is a beginner.  Regular salt will just disturb the water/salt balance of his system more.  Epsom salts is actually magnesium sulfate so that is why it is different.  But without more heat even this is not going to work.  I am very afraid her little one will not be able to make it without a heater.

Rose

p.s. yes, lead crystal is dangerous to fish and other life forms if they are using any liquid that is housed in it. I would say that the fish would be
"using the liquid" in the crystal. the lead leaches into the water and into their bodies and gives them horrible side effects.

New Threads