Heater watt

FBI

I thinking of buying a heater rod to kill ick in my tank. However i found out that there is 100W to 300W heater rod in my lfs.

I have a 10gallon tank, is 100W heater suitable?

RedOnion

I thinking of buying a heater rod to kill ick in my tank. However i found out that there is 100W to 300W heater rod in my lfs.

I have a 10gallon tank, is 100W heater suitable?
If you can get an adjustable heater that is better. 100w should be more than enough for 10g. Even 50w would be good too.

Upvote 0

FBI

If you can get an adjustable heater that is better. 100w should be more than enough for 10g. Even 50w would be good too.
Yea it's adjustable. Although it's not that really high tech. I couldn't find any lower than 100W. Good to know that 100W still works on 10gallon tank. Thanks!

Upvote 0

RayClem

The typical recommendation for heater wattage is 5 watts per gallon. That is sufficient to maintain the water temperature about 10-15 degrees above room temperature. Thus, if you your room never gets below 65 degrees F and you maintain the tank at 78 degrees, a 50 watt heater would work for normal use.

I have some tanks in my basement where the temperature drops to 58-60 degrees F in winter. Thus, I use 10 watts per gallon in those tanks.

Likewise, to treat ich, you need to elevate the tank temperature well above the typical 78 degrees F. You might need to take the temperature up to 86 degrees, but increase the temperature slowly. To achieve the higher temperature, a larger heater will be needed. Thus, your 100 watt heater (10 watts per gallon) should work just fine.

I know that a simple "Yes, 100 watts would work" might have been a sufficient answer, but so many people believe that "rules of thumb" such as 5 watts per gallon for heaters will work in all instances. That simply is not the case. If your room temperature is 75 degrees, a 50 watt heater might get the temperature up to 86 degrees. However, if your room temperature is 65 degrees, it probably won't be sufficient.

Upvote 0

FBI

The typical recommendation for heater wattage is 5 watts per gallon. That is sufficient to maintain the water temperature about 10-15 degrees above room temperature. Thus, if you your room never gets below 65 degrees F and you maintain the tank at 78 degrees, a 50 watt heater would work for normal use.

I have some tanks in my basement where the temperature drops to 58-60 degrees F in winter. Thus, I use 10 watts per gallon in those tanks.

Likewise, to treat ich, you need to elevate the tank temperature well above the typical 78 degrees F. You might need to take the temperature up to 86 degrees, but increase the temperature slowly. To achieve the higher temperature, a larger heater will be needed. Thus, your 100 watt heater (10 watts per gallon) should work just fine.

I know that a simple "Yes, 100 watts would work" might have been a sufficient answer, but so many people believe that "rules of thumb" such as 5 watts per gallon for heaters will work in all instances. That simply is not the case. If your room temperature is 75 degrees, a 50 watt heater might get the temperature up to 86 degrees. However, if your room temperature is 65 degrees, it probably won't be sufficient.
I see, loves the details. Thanks

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Diane 007
  • Question
5 Gallon Tank It's too wattage huh?
Replies
Views
BirdMom
  • WrenFeenix