Heater water Dissipation in Tank

nsta

Hello,

I have a 65 gallon tank with various small fishes like danios, angel, rainbow, guppy etc...
I have installed a 300w heater RS Electrical which is set at 82 F or 28 C
My tank is 3 feet W x 2 feet H x 20 inches Depth.

I have a 36 inches top filter whose outlet is on the back glass right side corner.
As the pressure of the water falling from the top filter is high, I have also installed a spray bar in the Top filter outlet which spreads the water evenly on the surface from the back to front.
The heater is installed diagonally below the spray bar.
All the spray bar, top filter outlet and heater are installed on the right side of the back corner.
Also I have a probe thermometer diagonally on the front corner of left side.
I am hoping the water heated will rise and the spray bar will push it to the front and then it will go to the left and back and again to the heater in a circular motion.
I just have few doubts...as the spray bar agitates the water below the water level, will the water heated lose it’s warmth.
I wish if someone helps me to know if this is good method to spread the heated water considering the tank dimensions.

Thank you

Attachments

• 04EF37AF-7544-4665-B601-5EBF5B5105E0.jpeg
    04EF37AF-7544-4665-B601-5EBF5B5105E0.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 17
  • FB5F3F7E-7494-43CA-8D59-ED07546AA232.jpeg
    FB5F3F7E-7494-43CA-8D59-ED07546AA232.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 3A0515BE-5681-4787-81CB-04AE7D84388A.jpeg
    3A0515BE-5681-4787-81CB-04AE7D84388A.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 20

Frank the Fish guy

Check the temp of the water at the bottom of the tank and compare to the temp at the top. If you have good water circulation they will be the same. If they are different then the bottom will be colder. To get good water circulation you need something to pull the cold water up from the bottom to the top. The spray bar won't do that. It helps add oxygen though.

To bring water up from the bottom, you can use and inlet for your filter that is low and the outlet is high. Or if you have an air stone that brings water up from the bottom.

Upvote 0

nsta

Tha
Check the temp of the water at the bottom of the tank and compare to the temp at the top. If you have good water circulation they will be the same. If they are different then the bottom will be colder. To get good water circulation you need something to pull the cold water up from the bottom to the top. The spray bar won't do that. It helps add oxygen though.

To bring water up from the bottom, you can use and inlet for your filter that is low and the outlet is high. Or if you have an air stone that brings water up from the bottom.
Thank you so much for your response....

I have a water pump power head in the back opposite corner stuck to the bottom...

I will still check the temperature readings as you suggested...

Thank you

Attachments

• 12B0E956-3E5C-4671-851B-8237F82D114C.jpeg
    12B0E956-3E5C-4671-851B-8237F82D114C.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 0

TheWalkman

I would put the heather right next to the water pump.
my think at least in my aquarium warm water goes in the the inlet through a warm filter then comes out and circulates the tank.
I know it’s beside the point but 82f seems to warm for most of those fish.
love the plants over then tank.

Upvote 0

nsta

Ex
I would put the heather right next to the water pump.
my think at least in my aquarium warm water goes in the the inlet through a warm filter then comes out and circulates the tank.
I know it’s beside the point but 82f seems to warm for most of those fish.
love the plants over then tank.
Excellent idea...will reduce the temp and will install the heater next to the pump...

I put few Pothos vines rootball in a top filter chamber, they are growing beautifull

Thank you so much for your advice..

Cheers!!!

Upvote 0

RayClem

Typically, the heating element of the heater will be at the bottom of the tube and the thermostat will be at the top. Thus, heaters are best installed either vertically or diagonally with the heating element as close to the substrate as possible without actually touching. Since warm water rises, this will create a natural circulation in the tank, even if you had no pump or filter at all.

If you place the heating element close to the intake tube of your filter, it will suck warm water into the filter and disperse it throughout the tank.

A HOB filter will do a good job of providing bottom to top circulation of the water, but in a larger tank, the water may not circulate from one end of the tank to the other. Using a second filter, airstone, or powerhead will help provide additional water movement. Something like the SunSun circulation pump might be just what you need.

ttps://www.amazon.com/JVP-101A-Submersible-Circulation-Powerhead-Pump/dp/B00OS6C23K/ref=asc_df_B00OS6C23K/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198072615033&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6614606279442585642&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021493&hvtargid=pla-349201326150&th=1

Upvote 0

nsta

Than
Typically, the heating element of the heater will be at the bottom of the tube and the thermostat will be at the top. Thus, heaters are best installed either vertically or diagonally with the heating element as close to the substrate as possible without actually touching. Since warm water rises, this will create a natural circulation in the tank, even if you had no pump or filter at all.

If you place the heating element close to the intake tube of your filter, it will suck warm water into the filter and disperse it throughout the tank.

A HOB filter will do a good job of providing bottom to top circulation of the water, but in a larger tank, the water may not circulate from one end of the tank to the other. Using a second filter, airstone, or powerhead will help provide additional water movement. Something like the SunSun circulation pump might be just what you need.

ttps://www.amazon.com/JVP-101A-Submersible-Circulation-Powerhead-Pump/dp/B00OS6C23K/ref=asc_df_B00OS6C23K/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198072615033&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6614606279442585642&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9021493&hvtargid=pla-349201326150&th=1
Thank you so much...

The details I get here is simply super...

Thank you

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jtjgg
  • Question
Replies
Views
BestFishTankGuy
  • Question
Replies