Heater suggestions please

Sedna

Hi..
Does anyone know of any heaters on the market that have voltage sensors or protective measures against that? I lost power a week ago and have lost some fish due to it happening... I had no idea that heaters could shock the fish once the power returned and only understood the cause after speaking to a staff member at my local ps.. I want to avoid it happening again if I can, but I can't always know or be home when it happens.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and your time.

Charlie’s Dad

Please research the E line by fluval.

If I understand correctly there is tech in place within them to prevent tragedy.

We have 3 E300s and they are spot on with accuracy. We have had recent power outages also. They come right back on and calibrate correctly to our set temps.

We purchased all 3 from Amazon as used models. We saved well over 30% over full price.

Well worth the monies in our opinion.

Brian and Diana in NC

Sedna

Please research the E line by fluval.

If I understand correctly there is tech in place within them to prevent tragedy.

We have 3 E300s and they are spot on with accuracy. We have had recent power outages also. They come right back on and calibrate correctly to our set temps.

We purchased all 3 from Amazon as used models. We saved well over 30% over full price.

Well worth the monies in our opinion.

Brian and Diana in NC
Thank you!! The night of, my breeding female died immediately, and now earlier today my other female died of the same problem i dont undetstand why they were days apart but.. I'm treating my other fish and have hope that they'll pull through, I will look into that immediately.

SparkyJones

I've never heard of this happening. I've heard of them blowing out the thermostat and cooking the fish, I've been shocked by touching a faulty heater becoming part of the circuit between the power and ground, but the fish were fine. Otherwise the power is going back to the ground of the device and the closest ground is the heater's circuit itself.

Thanks for the info, Now I have to nerd out and research this. :)

Sedna

I've never heard of this happening. I've heard of them blowing out the thermostat and cooking the fish, I've been shocked by touching a faulty heater becoming part of the circuit between the power and ground, but the fish were fine. Otherwise the power is going back to the ground of the device and the closest ground is the heater's circuit itself.

Thanks for the info, Now I have to nerd out and research this. :)
I didn't know about it either until earlier this week. After my female died the night of I assumed all was fine.. then I began noticing my other tank had some issues. I've never had this happen before and it really is not fun.. not so fun fact hlle can be caused by stray voltage in your tank too.

Charlie’s Dad

Well worth the knowledge gained by our research.

I do have a new favorite heater in the electronic thermostat by fluval.

Brian in NC

SparkyJones

I didn't know about it either until earlier this week. After my female died the night of I assumed all was fine.. then I began noticing my other tank had some issues. I've never had this happen before and it really is not fun.. not so fun fact hlle can be caused by stray voltage in your tank too.
So, nerding out and reading, This is really interesting, Sorry for your loss of course. that sucks.
apparently it's a thing noticed by saltwater keepers with all the equipment on their tanks. Corals will grow real well, fish decline rapidly.

I know fish aren't grounded, and neither am I, but If I touch a ground I'll get a good tingle of 110V. otherwise I wouldn't notice it at all. HOWEVER, prolonged exposure to electrical current even if it's volts and not amps, even if you can't feel it must cause stress and health deterioration on a fish, and if a fish came in contact with the device and ground, it would get a zap.

Like my bad heater, literally had my arm up to the shoulder into the tank for like 10 minutes cleaning, it was only when I touched the top of the heater that I got zapped because the heater was grounded through the plug and element and wiring, the circuit .
A 300W heater is like 2.5 amps, not a lot but it doesn't take a lot of amps either, even if not amps, still watts and volts. and if the juice is running, because of osmoregulation, lateral lines, just the physiology of a fish, it has to be affecting them negatively and shorting them out and stressing them.

I'm finding all sorts of things out, and ya know some of those people that come on here, saying their fish keep dying for no reason, possibly some of them have this going on and don't even realize it and need to get some multimeter probes into their tank!

Sorry for your loss. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Your story definitely made me aware and I'm gonna check my tanks, because yeah, stuff is made cheaply and stuff wears out. two factors that this could really happen to anyone.

Sedna

So, nerding out and reading, This is really interesting, Sorry for your loss of course. that sucks.
apparently it's a thing noticed by saltwater keepers with all the equipment on their tanks. Corals will grow real well, fish decline rapidly.

I know fish aren't grounded, and neither am I, but If I touch a ground I'll get a good tingle of 110V. otherwise I wouldn't notice it at all. HOWEVER, prolonged exposure to electrical current even if it's volts and not amps, even if you can't feel it must cause stress and health deterioration on a fish, and if a fish came in contact with the device and ground, it would get a zap.

Like my bad heater, literally had my arm up to the shoulder into the tank for like 10 minutes cleaning, it was only when I touched the top of the heater that I got zapped because the heater was grounded through the plug and element and wiring, the circuit .
A 300W heater is like 2.5 amps, not a lot but it doesn't take a lot of amps either, even if not amps, still watts and volts. and if the juice is running, because of osmoregulation, lateral lines, just the physiology of a fish, it has to be affecting them negatively and shorting them out and stressing them.

I'm finding all sorts of things out, and ya know some of those people that come on here, saying their fish keep dying for no reason, possibly some of them have this going on and don't even realize it and need to get some multimeter probes into their tank!

Sorry for your loss. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Your story definitely made me aware and I'm gonna check my tanks, because yeah, stuff is made cheaply and stuff wears out. two factors that this could really happen to anyone.
You learned more than me! That was helpful info thank you. I'm not super savvy at googling things, especially electronics. The heater in my 60 is on the older side, but the one that was in my 29 is less than a year old. My 29 no longer houses fish, it was cleaned out and heater was removed to house an axolotl.

Sedna

Putting an update on this post.

After my last water change we also changed the heater out on the 60 gallon with another heater we had that is newer than the previous one in the tank. I found some at a store that I'll have to look into some more before buying but on the box at quick glance they mentioned they had a safety feature to them. Once I go back to that store to get them I'll post what it is, and the info of it for anyone interested.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MartinBrody
Replies
Views
Mattjames
Replies
Views
BottomDweller
  • ldsdbomber
  • Heater