Heater stuck on 5 Gallon Tank 

LoganKarl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not really looking for help, just thought I'd share an issue I had with a 5g guppy tank I have set up for my daughter.

My daughters tank has had two male guppies in it for a couple months now and the tank has been doing great.

Yesterday I noticed some new fry swimming around my 45g community tank. I had only one female guppy in there and she must have had babies So I decided to put her and the fry in my daughters 5g. Her tank had no heater and was sitting at a steady 20c. I decided to put a heater in it for the fry.

Well tonight when going through the bedtime routine we checked the temp and it was at 37c!! The guppys looked very much in distress. I took the heater out right away then drained about 1/4 of the tank. Then treated some cold water and put it on a drip too cool the tankoff slowly. About 4 hours and it's now down to 25c and the guppies look a little more normal. None have died but I'm sure this stressed them out big time.

I had put 4 fry into the 5g yesterday and now there is about 12 so the female must have still been birthing fry. Looks like my daughter will be upgrading to a bigger tank to house all these new fish. If they survive the stress of almost being cooked...

Heron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have had the same problem in the past, that and the opposite where a heater fails to turn on ( my house gets very cold at night so it dropped to about 8 C by the morning ). Good news is in both situations the fish recovered ok afterwards. This is why it's important to check your thermometer regularly, to catch these things early before it gets too hot / cold.
Another lesson is not to buy cheap heaters, although having said that I have had heaters from the big name brands that have only lasted 18 months. If a heater becomes less stable ( the gap between the temperatures it turns on at and off at becomes bigger ) it is a sign that it may be about to fail.

LoganKarl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Heron said:
I have had the same problem in the past, that and the opposite where a heater fails to turn on ( my house gets very cold at night so it dropped to about 8 C by the morning ). Good news is in both situations the fish recovered ok afterwards. This is why it's important to check your thermometer regularly, to catch these things early before it gets too hot / cold.
Another lesson is not to buy cheap heaters, although having said that I have had heaters from the big name brands that have only lasted 18 months. If a heater becomes less stable ( the gap between the temperatures it turns on at and off at becomes bigger ) it is a sign that it may be about to fail.
I'm glad you were able to catch it in time!

On my 45g tank I have the heater at max and then plugged into a temperature controller that I built from an industrial controller. Keeps the tank at a constant 25c +- .02c. Works well and also has an alarm if the temp goes 2 degrees off either way. But I guess it could also fail. So I agree with you in that checking things regularly is important.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hard in that size tank but I normally do two heaters with lower wattage Incase this happens. 5 gallons is near impossible to do that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom