Heater Sticker Causing Stress? Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Iverg1, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Iverg1

Iverg1Well Known MemberMember

in my bowl the heater I have has a little silver sticker on and yondu (my betta he’s blue get it) likes to look at it and we his reflection which then makes him flare which promotes bubble nest building and is healthy but I read that it can actually stress him out so should I flip the heater to the other side or leave it as is

2. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I couldn't get past the part where you said "bowl" in the beginning.
    Do you have your betta in a bowl?

I would make sure that he does not have to flare every second, which can easily stress them out.

3. OP
    OP
    Iverg1

I know I know I want to get him a bigger tank but I don’t have that much money (I’m 13) and the money I got I’m saving for something

4. Fanatic

Does he have a filter for the time being?

5. OP
    OP
    Iverg1

Ummmmmmm no but parameters are good

6. Fanatic

You will absolutely need a filter, fish cannot live without one.
    I highly suggest you fix this huge problem and get a filter.

Daily water changes are a must in a bowl with no filter.

7. OP
    OP
    Iverg1

What kind

8. Bettafishies126

Bettafishies126Valued MemberMember

9. Gadfly

GadflyValued MemberMember

Flaring a few time a day is good. Flaring all day is not.

If you don’t have enough for a filter that’s okay. It just means that changing the water every day is very important.

10. Colt47New MemberMember

How big is the Bowl roughly? and you need a Sponge filter for it. Otherwise you will have to do 25% water changes every couple days. You can get these filters for about $15-$25 average

11. OP
    OP
    Iverg1

1 gallon bowl (i know) with heater

12. Bettafishies126

How are you heating that without cooking him? That's very small to have a heater or a fish in. If you can, you should try to get a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter for him. Without space, a filter, and stable water parameters a betta can be very prone to illness and it would be terrible for your little guy to get sick :(

13. Colt47New MemberMember

I would never recommend having a Betta in anything less than 2 gallons. I would get a 2 gallon tank kit for him. Long term it will be best for your fish and a you don't need a filter for a small tank.

14. Bettafishies126

I disagree, I think every fish tank no matter the size or type of fish needs a filter or the tank will never have a cycle or stable water parameters.

15. Colt47New MemberMember

All my Bettas lived about 2-3 years without one. i just kept doing 25% water changes every week. Kept everything in balance. If it is really a must then a Sponge filter

16. Kamaile

KamaileValued MemberMember

While your fish are living decently long lives, it is stressful to live in conditions with fluxuating ammonia levels like that. A 20 gallon with one betta would be fine without a filter and with weekly water changes, but anything under a 5 gallon will become slightly toxic in under a week. Even ignoring the idea of ammonia, though, it's still a good idea to have a filter. You need water movement or else you will never get the whole tank to an even temperature. The area around the heater will be the right temperature but everywhere else will be colder.

17. Ziggythecat

ZiggythecatValued MemberMember

Ok, let’s just take a step back and think about everything that you might need without overwhelming you.

A filter would be great, especially in a kit that is only about 25$ at my petsmart. I recommend anything 3 gallons or more.

You wouldn’t have to buy another heater because u already have one.
    And it is so worth it in the long term.

As for the sticker, if you can remove it or hide it in some plants that would probably be much better for him.

18. Kamaile

KamaileValued MemberMember

The sticker IS the heater. I don't think a sticker heater will work for a tank that is big enough for a fish...

19. Ziggythecat

ZiggythecatValued MemberMember

I understand, wasn’t sure before. Smaller heaters don’t usually exceed 20$ I’m just trying to help.

20. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Yeahhhhh, but any fish swimming in it's own ammonia and waste, is kinda gross and unhealthy. Aye, sponge filters are the best! : ) Petco has really good, cheap deals on kits and tanks, that can easily accommodate bettas. I actually have a baby male in a 5 gallon tank. The tank was only $5! HOB (Stands for: "Hang on the back of the tank") Filter was about $10. Gravel was about $5 as well. Plastic plant (instead of a reflective, shiny sticker for more ideal stimulation) was a cheap $2! Yeah they have specially designed mini-heaters as well.

Oops, I meant my gravel was $4.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice