heater size

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by dano569, Dec 1, 2005.

1. dano569Valued MemberMember

i'm gonna be getting another 55 gallon tank soon and i want everyone's opinion on what size heater i will need.the 55 i have now came with a heater and i don't know the size.i've read some people say all you need for that size tank was a 200 watt,then others say a 300 watt.i was also wondering if anybody had a visi-therm submersible or ever had one and how good they are. thanks everybody ;D

2. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

I think it's suggested you have 5 watts per gallon. That would mean you would need 525 watts for your 55 gallon tank. I have 2 300 watt heaters in my 55 and they work great. You could bring it down a little and have 1 300 watt, and 1 250 watt heater to save a dollar or 2. I've never used the visitherm brand so I won't state an opinion. I have mostly stainless steel or titanium heaters in my tanks and love them. They don't break like glass heaters do.

3. OP
    OP
    d

dano569Valued MemberMember

the visi therm heater i looked at was plastic.the only thing i saw that i didn't like about it was it does not have the light when it is heating. ::)

4. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

I have never seen a plastic heater. I have seen heaters with plastic guards though. Just make sure you get enough wattage for your tank.

5. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I have a coulpe of these in my small 10 g tanks, and they do a good job.

I prefer the stainless steel but can't get them small enough to fit my little 10 g tanks
    Carol

6. OP
    OP
    d

dano569Valued MemberMember

i think it's enclosed in plastic.thanks carol i will check those out. 8)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice