heater size

1. dano569 Member Member

i'm gonna be getting another 55 gallon tank soon and i want everyone's opinion on what size heater i will need.the 55 i have now came with a heater and i don't know the size.i've read some people say all you need for that size tank was a 200 watt,then others say a 300 watt.i was also wondering if anybody had a visi-therm submersible or ever had one and how good they are. thanks everybody ;D

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I think it's suggested you have 5 watts per gallon. That would mean you would need 525 watts for your 55 gallon tank. I have 2 300 watt heaters in my 55 and they work great. You could bring it down a little and have 1 300 watt, and 1 250 watt heater to save a dollar or 2. I've never used the visitherm brand so I won't state an opinion. I have mostly stainless steel or titanium heaters in my tanks and love them. They don't break like glass heaters do.

3. dano569 Member Member

the visi therm heater i looked at was plastic.the only thing i saw that i didn't like about it was it does not have the light when it is heating. ::)

4. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I have never seen a plastic heater. I have seen heaters with plastic guards though. Just make sure you get enough wattage for your tank.

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

6. dano569 Member Member

i think it's enclosed in plastic.thanks carol i will check those out. 8)