Heater - Should I Have Two? If So, Wattage?

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by filtered_light, Jul 18, 2017.

1. filtered_light

filtered_lightValued MemberMember

I'm kinda new and setting up a 28 gallon freshwater tropical tank. I've read that some people suggest using two lower watt heaters so that you A) have a back up if one stops heating and B ) so that if one fails and gets stuck on heating mode, it will have a hard time overheating the tank by itself.

Has anyone done this? Results?

If you recommend this dual heater setup, what size/wattage heaters would make sense for a 28 gallon?

2. Cheesearmada

CheesearmadaValued MemberMember

For my tanks I just have one heater. If your heater malfunctions your fish just might get fried so there is no point in buying two.

An 100 watt Aqueon submersible heater would be good for your tank.
    Link:  

3. Feesh404

Feesh404Well Known MemberMember

For an Aquarium your size, I use Eheim Jager, its 100w and my aquarium is 36g. I feel you should just get something between 100-200w and/or is suited for aquariums 20-40 US Gallons

4. OP
    OP
    filtered_light

Hmm, so no one in favor of two heaters? I'm just paranoid about boiled fish... :-/

5. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

With two heaters you're not worried about "boiling" fish, you're keeping a spare in case on of them stops heating properly. I always have two.

If your heater malfunctions in that it remains on and overrides the thermostat, there's not a whole lot you can do.

6. OP
    OP
    filtered_light

Oh... I guess that makes sense. I had read somewhere that if you had a lower wattage heater then it would be harder for it to overheat the volume of water, but I suppose that would only be the case if the ambient temp was leeching heat... or maybe not at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice