Heater Scare in my oscar tank

Parmesany

Hi, I have a 125 gallon tank with an Oscar in it which I keep at 77F. On the way out the house I noticed my oscar acting a bit strange so i checked the thermometers in the tank and saw that it had jumped up to 83F I immediatly shut the heater off. What had happened was my heater controller had fallen behind the tank pulling the thermometer for the heater out of the water which caused the heater to jump a lot. I am letting the heater re calibrate to the water temp now. Safe to say I need to secure the temp controller better to avoid this and I will also be purchasing an Ink Bird controll unit to stop this from happening again.

Sunrise

That must have been scary! Good thing you noticed it!

Parmesany

Yes! I check my temp multiple times a day but now i realize i need more saftey with it
I assume I should just let the tank cool down slowely to avoid more shock?

Parmesany

Hi, I have a quick question. I have a 125 with a single 500 watt heater from aquatop. I have it set at 78 but it seams to consistently hover around 75-74. I just purchased an Ink bird to help prevent accidents but i was wondering if i should just replace the 500watt heater for 2 300 watt heaters or add a second smaller heater with my 500.

Thanks!

Cadillac15

I personally use 2 300W heaters in my 125g tank. It gives a more balanced heat throughout the tank since it is such a large tank. I would recommend it.

Flyfisha

It is very likely the heater thermostat is not calibrated accurately . In other words the markings on the heater that you use to set the temperature are not accurate that is all . Turn the switch on the heater up slightly and cheap the water temperature. After 48 hours you will know what temperature the water is now holding.

It is normal for any heater temperature markings to not match a thermometers markings.

Flyfisha

Edit * check the temperature

LizStreithorst

Without a doubt, get 2 heaters.

Noroomforshoe

I would use the ink bird, and get a second heater,

jtjgg

such a large tank needs at least 2 heaters.

Parmesany

such a large tank needs at least 2 heaters.
Do you have a recomendation for the size of a second heater to go along my 500watt?
I would use the ink bird, and get a second heater,
recommendations for a second heater to go with my 500 watt?

jtjgg

somthing in the 200-300w range

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishDin
Replies
Views
Ben3721
Replies
Views
Mattjames