Heater(s) for 72 Gallon Bow Front

1. csutter1 Member Member

Hey all,

Just wanting to get some recommendations on good heaters for a 72G bow front tank that will be used to house African Cichlids. I'm hoping to use 2 lower wattage heaters as opposed to just 1 high wattage one. I live in WI so our weather temps here vary greatly and it can be tough to keep the temp of my place nice and steady. That being said, I've read that I should perhaps look into heating with about 10 watts per gallon, versus the standard 5 watts per gallon rule.

Any input on good heaters/wattages, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Hello,
    If you go with 2 heaters, then I would recommend getting 1 x 200 Watt heater, and 1 x 300 watt heater.
    These 2 combined are sufficient to heat 100 gallons of water, which is more than enough for your needs.
    Just remember to set them on the low side, monitor temp after 24 hours and adjust to the 26 Deg C required for African Cichlids ( Malawi )
    Also if using them for Mbuna, put on heater guards, as the fish love to hide behind the heaters.
    A good manufacturer that I have used a lot and had no probs with is " Fluval "

3. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I love the Aqueon Pro heaters, I would recommend (2) 250WT heaters. Best of luck.

4. dakota Member Member

On my 72 gallon bow front I use the Fluval 300 watt heater and it is great. Never had a problem with it keeps the tank perfect. There build quality and warranty hard to beat. Thanks

Clean Water = Happy Healthy Fish

5. csutter1 Member Member

So with the heaters, what's the best way to keep them from looking unsightly? I want my tank to be as "natural" looking as possible, so the fewer gadgets and equipment I can have hanging in my tank the better. Should I try to disguise it behind rock features or are there heaters that have low profile settings? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

6. dakota Member Member

I went with the Fluval "M" series heater. They are chrome finshed and you do not see any of the inside of the heater just a real clean look and I sure would not worry about hiding it. If your LFS has them check them out for apperance. Thanks

Clean Water = Happy Healthy Fish

7. csutter1 Member Member

Great! Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum