Heater Research

sairving

Reaction score
HI everyone,

I hope your all healthy and safe. Before all this mess with the pandemic began, I planned on having a Betta tank set by now. Due to everything going on, that's been delayed for a bit. The state has pretty much shut everything nonessential down until the end of April. I've had plenty of time to do lots of research. For a bit of background, I did have fancy goldfish during college. A heater wasn't necessary.

I've been researching compact heaters for a 3 gallon nano tank. It has a cover and I plan on purchasing a Finnex Stingray clip on light. As for heaters, an always on heater is a no go. I'm leaning towards a 25 watt heater. My bedroom is the coldest room in the house. It's on the northwest corner and when it's below 50 degrees, it's always a few degrees colder than the rest of the house. So with the house set at 72 degrees during the day and it being a few degrees cooler, the heater has to work a little more to keep the tank warmer. At night, the heat drops down to 69. During the summer, the AC goes on when the house reaches 78.

Is 25 watts too much? Should it be a 15 watt heater? I'm considering the Marina 25 watt heater or the Theo Hydro. Aquatop sells a 25 watt nano heater but I can't find any reviews on it. There's always the cheap ones sold in eBay. I could buy 2 and keep a spare sitting around. I watched the Aquarium Co-op video about heaters and thought, maybe a 15 watt. After filtration, who knew a heater would leave me with questions.

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A bigger heater never hurts, but you should keep an eye on it. I think a 25 Watt heater would be fine, Aquarium Co - op (on their website) is selling A Marina25W, if you are interested.

greengoddess

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Following. I need compact submersibles for my 3 gal betta tanks. The unicliffes (sp?) work fine for my 10 gal, but they're too long for these cubes. Finding a good one that's also adjustable isn't easy it seems.

OP
S

sairving

Reaction score
greengoddess said:
Following. I need compact submersibles for my 3 gal betta tanks. The unicliffes (sp?) work fine for my 10 gal, but they're too long for these cubes. Finding a good one that's also adjustable isn't easy it seems.
I've been digging around and I'm trying to decide between the Hydor Theo 25 watt or buying something like the Marina 10 watt and adding a second if needed. I'm not willing to spend money on a cobalt neotherm and Eiheim heaters won't fit in the tank. Small heaters seem to work or fail quickly. The hydor was the smallest adjustable heater I could find.

I bought an Aqueon 3 gallon rimless cube tank from Petco at the beginning of March. For filtration, I picked up an Aquatop CAF 10 sponge filter and will most likely use my tetra whisper air pump with a control valve. I have a cat and need to keep the tank closed up as possible.

Normally, I would head over to my local fish store for everything. Due to the pandemic, they only allow 6 people in the store for 10 mins at a time.

OP
S

sairving

Reaction score
greengoddess said:
I just ordered a 25 watt Hydor Theo heater online from Premium Aquatics. It's on sale for half off and with shipping, it was $13.

OP
S

sairving

Reaction score
The heater arrived today. At first I panicked because the box was way bigger than the tank, but it fits in my 3 gallon with no issue.

New Threads