Help Heater requirements for various tanks!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

love-my-fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello everyone, I hope this is the correct place to post this. I have posted this in another forum as well in ontario in case to get a well rounded review...

I've started setting up a fish room and been purchasing a lot of tanks and so forth. i just set up a racking system and put tanks on there, 2 45's and 2x65 tall's.....they all came with heaters.

I have several more tanks that i want to set up soon with no heaters at this point. I have done some reading on this so for and this is what i have found. My question(s) will follow:
1. some people say that you should use about 2 watts per gallon for heating requirements.
2. Some people say that you should use a higher power heater then your tank requires as it will cost less to run that way and easier to maintain required temperatures.
3. I have read also that it's better to use two lower powered heaters then one large powered heater.
- good in cases if one fails
- i heard it could be bad if a higher powered heater fails as it could overheat the water and kill the fish.

Hoping for some good experience or some good links that can clarify some of this for me, or help me to make an easier decision based on pro's and con's.....
Thanks to everyone in advance in case i can't individually thank you.
Hoping for some good civil debate!!!!!
Cheers & tanksssss !!!!
Sheldon

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
they all sound like good ways to go tho 2 watts per gallon hasnt failed me yet and the two heaters sounds like a bit much for anything under 100 gallon

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I usually use a little bit bigger heater than the tank requires, probably just me but it seems to kick on less with a larger heater. Course right now I barely need a heater I had to get AC units in the windows all my tanks were about 85 degrees until two days ago. I think my corys were sweating.

love-my-fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
they all sound like good ways to go tho 2 watts per gallon hasnt failed me yet and the two heaters sounds like a bit much for anything under 100 gallon
I agree there izzy,, unless of course one has tons of extra cash :)

I usually use a little bit bigger heater than the tank requires, probably just me but it seems to kick on less with a larger heater. Course right now I barely need a heater I had to get AC units in the windows all my tanks were about 85 degrees until two days ago. I think my corys were sweating.
Yikes.... i notice already that my basement is much warmer with 7 tanks 45 gallons and up....

I use one larger than the tank requires.
I agree Justin,, ,i'm noticing that i have 1 50 watt heater in each 45 gallon tank and it never cuts out... think i need a 100 watter in there for sure.....

Thanks-everyone
sheldon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom