Help Heater Recommendations

undetermined

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 2 tanks, fixing to have a 3rd. I am trying to decide many things, one of which is a heater. Currently my thermostat is broke, so I am using a timer and watching it closely. So far I am good, but I don't want to take a chance. What are the good and bad everybody has experienced with heaters? I am not too worried about how much I spend because I want it to last. I need some honest opinions.

Thanks, Undetermined

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I really like my Aquaclear heater. It's easily adjustable and it keeps the water the same temperature regardless of the room temperature. Plus, it's fairly inexpensive. I know I'll be getting another one for my new tank soon.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I use the Stealth Pro heaters in my 265g tank. They are very accurate and are doing a great job. However, these are fairly new on the market and I have seen some information of people having issues with them exploding. I can't say for certain if it was fish keeper error or if the heaters simply malfunctioned.

These heaters have an indicator light that glows red when it's actually heating and it glows green when the set temperature has been reached or surpassed. (I like that)

My opinion is, regardless of which heater you choose, there is always a risk of malfunction. It's just part of the hobby and a risk we all have to take.

Here is the link:
(they come in different watts)

Ken

undetermined

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good morning,

I use the Stealth Pro heaters in my 265g tank. Ken
Ken, are they fully submersible? I want it fully submersed for when the water evaporates she doesn't have to worry about it not working. I am trying to make it idiot proof for my wife. Sorry, she likes the fish but not comfortable with the maintenance.

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah they are submersible.I don't think they make any that aren't anymore.I could be wrong though. I use them too. I have heard of them exploding also. I have been using 4 for about 3 months now with no troubles at all.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agreed with Nitro

I have 3 of them, fully submersible and they are all doing just fine. I really like the indicator light colors!

Ken

undetermined

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know there is all kinds of controversy on UGF, but mine came with one and a HOB Filter. It was an established tank. I was just given another tank, 75 gal, and I am looking at having to buy everything for it. I am kind of steering away from what I have and going for a canister filter. Any Recommendations on those?

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You will get lots of different opinions on canisters. I personally use a Eheim 2217,with an Emperor 400,on my 75's with a Stealth Pro 300 watt. Lots of people recommend using more than one heater.The reasons are usually if one fails,you have a back up. I feel this makes sense to a point. Heaters will also fail,and get stuck on,cooking your fish. Why double the chance of that happening? You should check the temp in your tank daily. If your heater stops working,the tank will cool off,but you should catch it before it becomes so cold there is a danger to your tropical fish.Unless the room they are in is very,very cold.

Depending on what you are stocking,the Eheim 2217 is probably enough.Unlike heaters,I like to use 2 filters.This will insure plenty of bio filtration,and if one fails,you have a back up already cycled.

This is where I get mine. Even with shipping,Ken has the cheapest filters I have found. I get my heaters,and most of my equipment from him.

If you go with a canister,you could get a Hydor 200 watt in-line heater. The 1/2" will fit the 2217. And it is less equipment in your tank. I run Hydor's on my 180 and 450.They work great.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom