Heater Recommendations Please !

WhatsTheScoop

Hello ! Recently ive realized my heater hasn’t been doing its job, and the water has dropped below 70. I should be able to purchase a new heater from a regular big box store. The heater I have now is an Aqueon heater. I need some recs asap for a 65g since my fish really don’t enjoy the cooler water .

jmaldo

I use to recommend "Aqueon Pros", but been having failures. So... just started using Eheims $$. And also Hygger brand.

Good Luck with whatever you choose.

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

My ehiem works great

Upvote 0

coralbandit

I am using Titanium heaters from Jehmco and Inkbird controllers now that my Aqueons have been failing on a regular basis . Some Aqueon heaters are guaranteed and they will send you a free replacement but I have no more tolerance for their overpriced cheaply made equipment ..
The 'Jehmco' heaters are about $23-$30 for 50-250 watt

TSHW-50

TSHW400-150p.jpg
50 watt
Titanium Submersible Heater
w/ 6’ cord - cord exits end of head
(requires controller)
$23.00
TSHW-150

TSHW400-150p.jpg
150 watt
(requires controller)
$26.00
TSHW-250

TSHW400-150p.jpg
250 watt
(requires controller)
$27.00

The Inkbird will run 1,000 watts of heaters so one for each heater is not always needed
Amazon.com: Inkbird Temperature Controlled Outlet Chick Temperature Controller Heater Controller for Refrigerator Aquarium Reptiles and Plants ITC-306T: Pet Supplies

Upvote 0

RichardUK

Guess you've already got something by now, but I got an Oase heat up, just because of the brand. Heard some horror stories of people buying cheap and having trouble. Something minor I wish I'd considered is that my heater looks uglier than I realised, and worse than that the light when it is active is large and hard to hide. No idea why they did that really, entirely unnecessary...

Upvote 0

Redviper

My ehiem works great

This choice goes along with what I know to be true. I started with Eheim heaters and I was never disappointed. There are more complex choices, with advanced features, but Eheim would be a safe choice. If the OP is curious about what else is out there, Amazon is a decent showcase for what's available.

Upvote 0

pagoda

I swapped all my aquariums from Aquael Platinum to JBL S Pro Temp.

The JBL's seem to be alot kinder in that they raise the temp gradually (instead of staying on constantly til temp reached) and they come with a fitted guard too....very handy when your BN enjoys sleeping on it

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

Agree with coralbandit 100%. Old ehiems were fool proof, would last 20 years, new ones aren't really much better than any other brand these days. Any brand these days is prone to failing in my experience, either cooking your fish or not turning on.

If you have a tank you want to be 100% kept safe, you need to get an Inkbird or equivalent temp control device, it will have a temp probe on it and you can set a temperature range on it which will power your heater.

Example: - I set my heater temp to about 78 degrees - this is set as a redundant fail safe, and to make sure the heater turns on when the inkbird powers it. The inkbird is set to run the tank at 74-76 degrees, so it will cut off power to the heater when the probe reads 76, and wont turn the heater back on until the temp probe reads 74. This is much kinder on your heater as well as its not constantly cycling on/off for ever 0.1 degree change in temp. It works as a double fail safe with this set up, as well as being much more efficient with electricity and in my opinion, will help your heaters to last much longer by the lower cycling rate.

As a double double fail safe, use two heaters but each is half the wattage. Both can be powered by one inkbird. if you don't want to use an inkbird or equivalent, then I really recommend splitting your heating. So for example, 65 gallon, you probably need a 200 watt heater. Use two 100 watt heaters, you will get more even heating of the tank as well as if one were to fail - either it doesn't turn on, you still have another heater heating the tank. Also if one were to get stuck on, a 100 watt heater will take a lot longer to cook a 65 gallon tank then a single 200 watt heater, and may give you time to catch the issue and save your livestock.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • SolidAir879
  • Heater
Replies
Views
SolidAir879
  • Question
Replies
Views
Myyyman