Heater Questions - Need help choosing

Leeman75

I thought I had the perfect heater for my 20 Gal project tank. It checked a lot of boxes: LED display, Outside Tank Controller, Great Reviews, Amazon Choice, Great Price. Then, just as I was about to add it to my Shopping Cart, I noticed that it was a 200 Watt heater. It seems that I need to be in the 100 Watt arena. So, a few questions:

1. Would getting twice the wattage be really bad? What is the risk?
2. Has anyone ever tried the heaters that look kind of luck an elongated hockey puck? How are those?
3. Do you have any recommendations overall? I have to admit, once I started seeing LED displays and outside tank controllers, I'm having a hard time giving up on wanting those. Are they just gimmicks? I HATE sticking my hand in the tank to have to adjust the temperature, especially because you sometimes need to hands for it.

A201

The 200 w heater should be fine, as long as the thermostat dosen't get stuck.

Upvote 0

Nickguy5467

I thought I had the perfect heater for my 20 Gal project tank. It checked a lot of boxes: LED display, Outside Tank Controller, Great Reviews, Amazon Choice, Great Price. Then, just as I was about to add it to my Shopping Cart, I noticed that it was a 200 Watt heater. It seems that I need to be in the 100 Watt arena. So, a few questions:

1. Would getting twice the wattage be really bad? What is the risk?
2. Has anyone ever tried the heaters that look kind of luck an elongated hockey puck? How are those?
3. Do you have any recommendations overall? I have to admit, once I started seeing LED displays and outside tank controllers, I'm having a hard time giving up on wanting those. Are they just gimmicks? I HATE sticking my hand in the tank to have to adjust the temperature, especially because you sometimes need to hands for it.
get yourself an inkbird controller. that way it automatically shuts off once you hit the target temperature and turns on when you are below by 1 2 or 3° (depending on how you set it) my heater is a piece of garbage i think as i dont think it's accurate. so instead i just turned it up and connected it to one of these. which is not what you see here. mine different. anyway it may just be the weather so my temp has always been around 80 and my target is 77 so my heater never comes on

You must be registered to see images

Upvote 0

qldmick

My favorite heaters are shoguns, the best thing is automatic shut off when out of water (I forget and leave the heater turned on while doing water changes), they also have led temp display and a cover for the glass.
They are decent price too.

Upvote 0

Leeman75

The 200 w heater should be fine, as long as the thermostat dosen't get stuck.

I suppose that could be a problem even if it were a 100 watt. Maybe not quite as bad, but still a problem.

Upvote 0

Leeman75

My favorite heaters are shoguns, the best thing is automatic shut off when out of water (I forget and leave the heater turned on while doing water changes), they also have led temp display and a cover for the glass.
They are decent price too.

I tried looking for those and cannot find them in stock anywhere.

Upvote 0

johnjohnjohnjohn87

get yourself an inkbird controller. that way it automatically shuts off once you hit the target temperature and turns on when you are below by 1 2 or 3° (depending on how you set it) my heater is a piece of garbage i think as i dont think it's accurate. so instead i just turned it up and connected it to one of these. which is not what you see here. mine different. anyway it may just be the weather so my temp has always been around 80 and my target is 77 so my heater never comes on

Thanks! Just ordered one!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Boujii
  • Question
  • blindfaith429
  • Heater
Replies
Views