Heater Question

JPH1970

I have an Eheim Jager 200w on my 29 gallon tank and I had it calibrated as close to perfect as possible. It was set to 77 or 78, I forget

Two weeks ago, I elevated the heat to treat for ich and it seemed to be fine. The temperature was holding steady at 86 F. Yesterday, I started to lower the temperature slowly. It took a while, but it was going down. Throughout the day, the tank temperature was always higher than what the heater was set at. Did it become uncalibrated? Last evening, the heater was set to 77 F and the tank temperature was 80.6(according to the digital thermometer I now use too) and it was the same this morning, about 8 hours later.

I use two thermometers in the tank, one at the left side and one at the right, and the temperature readings on both are nearly identical. The one on the right, opposite of the heater and filter is a tiny bit lower. A digital food-grade thermometer registers the same temperature as those thermometers.

Does water temperature take that long to drop?

pagoda

Room temperature will always have a bearing on the water temperature....for example all of my heaters are identical, set to the same temperature yet the hallway aquarium is always cooler due to the room being significantly cooler and that takes longer to regain heat, the lounge is a naturally warm room so the thermometers (all the same digital Fluval type) show a higher temperature) Heaters will compensate to a degree but none are absolutely perfect 100% of the time.

A 200w seems mighty heavy duty for a 29 gallon though.....personally I would have gone for a 150w. It can make a difference on cool down, not always but in my experience, the higher the wattage the slower the cool down.

Upvote 0

JPH1970

Room temperature will always have a bearing on the water temperature....for example all of my heaters are identical, set to the same temperature yet the hallway aquarium is always cooler due to the room being significantly cooler and that takes longer to regain heat, the lounge is a naturally warm room so the thermometers (all the same digital Fluval type) show a higher temperature) Heaters will compensate to a degree but none are absolutely perfect 100% of the time.

A 200w seems mighty heavy duty for a 29 gallon though.....personally I would have gone for a 150w. It can make a difference on cool down, not always but in my experience, the higher the wattage the slower the cool down.
Ok so it's just taking longer for the water to cool off. Thanks!. I do have a thermometer somewhere in my house that I can use to check my living room temperature. I'm a bit too lazy to look for it now.

When I was looking at heater replacements, the 200w was the only available option for me that I liked.

Upvote 0

pagoda

Ok so it's just taking longer for the water to cool off. Thanks!. I do have a thermometer somewhere in my house that I can use to check my living room temperature. I'm a bit too lazy to look for it now.

When I was looking at heater replacements, the 200w was the only available option for me that I liked.

My aquarium thermometers have the room temp on them too, which can be very handy especially in the summer if we get decent summer daytime temps

What you can do but very carefully is remove water and replace it slowly with cold (either bottled or treated tap) and that will slowly help to bring the temps down

As for the 200w it will often take longer to drop to a different temperature that a lower wattage heater by virtue of the fact there is more heater element to cool down than a lower wattage version. So replacing a few litres with cooler water will help as long as you do it slowly and carefully so as to not distress the fish (I only use bottled water in my aquariums so its easy to do a water cool down but treated tap water can obviously be used too)

Upvote 0

JPH1970

My aquarium thermometers have the room temp on them too, which can be very handy especially in the summer if we get decent summer daytime temps

What you can do but very carefully is remove water and replace it slowly with cold (either bottled or treated tap) and that will slowly help to bring the temps down

As for the 200w it will often take longer to drop to a different temperature that a lower wattage heater by virtue of the fact there is more heater element to cool down than a lower wattage version. So replacing a few litres with cooler water will help as long as you do it slowly and carefully so as to not distress the fish (I only use bottled water in my aquariums so its easy to do a water cool down but treated tap water can obviously be used too)

Using treated water(I'm on well) is an excellent idea. I might want to do that. Thanks!

The aquarium temperature did drop about a degree since early this morning though. I'll wait until mid afternoon to see if it goes any further.

What thermometer do you use?

Upvote 0

pagoda

Using treated water(I'm on well) is an excellent idea. I might want to do that. Thanks!

The aquarium temperature did drop about a degree since early this morning though. I'll wait until mid afternoon to see if it goes any further.

What thermometer do you use?

Another thing I use in warm weather when the water gets too warm or if I want to drop the temp for any other reason, ice cubes made of either treated tap or bottled water, drop a few into the aquarium and they slowly drop the water temp without causing any issues to the fish...just remember if using treated tap water ice cubes to freeze them away from those you put into your own drinks

This the thermomenter I have on each of my aquariums...

https://fluvalaquatics.com/uk/product/2-in-1-digital-aquarium-thermometer/

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
AndyP
  • Question
  • Cambrianexplosion24
  • Heater
Replies
Views